Neck is now scrap wood, correct? ...or can it be saved?

I'm pretty sure this neck (to be) is ruined -- I'm hoping someone can confirm that,  or possibly give me advice on how to salvage.

I was tacking in a tiny spike to keep the fretboard from slipping during glue-up, on 2nd tap I caused a hairline crack/split. More pronounced on the back -- this is at the heel if not obvious: 

damn-split.thumb.jpg.c78d4c4f3dd6e8395563749fe0d02fb8.jpg

help.png.912bcbed1c422886e2c33d4637a681fa.png

Not really, many ways to attack that issue. You could just wick glue in it and good clamping. Not the best solution.

You could do inlays or inset wood stringers on both sides so it looks planned and fixes the problem.

You could cut off the end using a scarf joint and re-glue a new piece on and reshape the heel.

There are other ways as well, just slow down and plan the attack, then make it so.

MK 

disclaimer: me answering this post in no way implies that I think I'm a master builder.

I think you could prob tap that nail back in to spread it and put some glue in and take the nail out and clamp... it'd probably be fine.

that said... if I'm being honest and because I care - tell you the thing I know you don't want to hear... if it were me I'd think "well I really wasn't that far along on it and do I really want to spend the time to build it the rest of the way knowing it could show up really obvious at the finishing stage?"  

If it makes you feel better... on my first prototype tele body I have a hairline crack from bending the top - kind of a lot invested in it.  I can close up most of it but there is a spot that isn't going to close unless I do voodoo.  I still want to rescue it cause I don't like the idea of wasting wood or work.  It is maple tho... ime almost impossible to completely hide if you can't completely close it.

so with a crack like that (won't completely close) I could fill it with sawdust and wet the dust to get it to expand and stick in there.  then dye it, then apply clear ca and it would be hid pretty good... but not perfect.  still going to go fwd w it... if nothing else I'll learn something... but I won't let myself get too invested - I've been hurt before!

heres hoping no broken hearts for either of us.

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

disclaimer: me answering this post in no way implies that I think I'm a master builder.

Me neither.

Do I see right, are there a couple less serious looking cracks as well? If so, it seems like the blank you got was not properly protected a the ends while drying or that a longer bit at that end should have been cut off. One trick for hammering in nails: Blunt the tips with a couple of hits of the hammer! A blunt tip will crush the wood in front of it while a sharp tip will act as a wedge.

kuva.png.821d8747cf0b8b417d00694d8624c5b1.png

A short risk analysis might be of help:

• First of all, all fixes in the heel area will be hidden so you're free to do anything!
  • Wicking glue in might be enough, a Titebond seam is known to be tougher than the surrounding wood
  • A scarf joint after gluing will certainly be strong enough for any use.
  • A set neck will support the glue joint as well.
  • A bolt-on neck can easily be replaced if your repair attempts fail in the future.
  • If you build for yourself that would serve as a test lab to see how good your fix is.
  • Like 1

This is the heel correct? That crack is going to be surrounded by a neck pocket and a fret board. There is no place for it to go, especially if it is a set neck. Wick some glue in, and then when you set the neck every side of that crack will be surrounded by stable wood and glue. It will be fine.

SR

• Like 1

@komodo you obviously haven't watched the Rosa String Works videos! Wick some water into the crack and let it suck the Titebond in. Maybe using a tiny drop of water as a thinner for the tightest cracks. A suction cup might also help.

But you're right, thin CA will also wick in.

• Like 1

I'm going to try to get wick in some glue (thanks for all the tips on that!) -- but for sure I'm not going to try and repair this with any wood ties or scarf joint.

Even if operation:glue-the-cracks is successful I get the feeling just knowing its there I'll obsess that it's causing some imagined, phantom-like issue.

Most likely I'll chop off the cracked end and repurpose this one as a guitar neck (this is/was a bass neck so I've got the length) for a travel guitar I'm planning to build next.

I have another bass neck blank already milled, I'll be sure to work further from the edge this time as it has like 6/8 inches to spare --- and DRILL any holes I need for the fretboard glue-up :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

I see you really liked my suggestions.

Actually I really did ... I also really like Scarlet Johansson, sadly both are beyond my reach at this point. Good news is that one day I may be able to do your suggestions. Not likely on the other front

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:45 AM, Bizman62 said:

Do I see right, are there a couple less serious looking cracks as well?

Oh yeah, thanks for noticing-it helped be make my decision to not use this, but to save and use as a guitar neck instead.

All of your suggestions were helpful BTW - even if I just stored them away for future consideration.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JayT said:

Actually I really did ... I also really like Scarlet Johansson, sadly both are beyond my reach at this point. Good news is that one day I may be able to do your suggestions. Not likely on the other front

You know I was just gigging you. They are sound plans, While your abilities are where you question yourself. Kudos for knowing your limitations at this point in time. Your advancement will continue as you go. :)

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayT said:

I also really like Scarlet Johansson, sadly both are beyond my reach at this point.

So, good news, Black Widow will be out in just a few days and she will be in your reach. Bad news, you will have to fight me for her.

Good news, you will have my wife on your side, and she doesn’t take crap from anyone.

• Haha 1