Drak Build: The Sonic Crayon

Pickup theme change.

Was working on another project where the yellow pickups were more required.

So I switched up the cover on the neck (still Satch Track)

And the bridge is now a DiMarzio Gravity Storm I had in the drawer.

Rough-cut the truss cover out.

Cleaned (Naptha'd) the neck, dyed it black, wiped that off, and hit it with fretboard finishing oil.

IJbsgWW.jpg

z58Us0u.jpg

aRFE9rI.jpg

• Like 1

Nice choice for the truss rod end cover! When I looked at your offcuts I thought that a spot where the colour streaks are sort of miniaturized would be nice. You seem to have found such a spot.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:18 AM, Drak said:

Pickup theme change.

Was working on another project where the yellow pickups were more required.

So I switched up the cover on the neck (still Satch Track)

And the bridge is now a DiMarzio Gravity Storm I had in the drawer.

Rough-cut the truss cover out.

Cleaned (Naptha'd) the neck, dyed it black, wiped that off, and hit it with fretboard finishing oil.

IJbsgWW.jpg

z58Us0u.jpg

aRFE9rI.jpg

This looks great. The white and black contrast is great and the lines are really interesting. 

I have this weird feeling this isn't done yet.

I just haven't found the right color or pattern to enhance that black/white yet.

But no matter how many times I look at it, it keeps saying its not done yet.

Its been saying that for nearly a year, and I tried a few things, but nothing hit the spot.

So it'll get put in a hold pattern until I get it figured out.

It just needs some kind of color explosion.

Tasty and refined, but bold, basic colors, like green, red, yellow, or blue.

Something.

I'm hitting myself by surprise by agreeing with you! It's close but not quite there.

What is it that makes it look undone, I can't tell. Could it be the fretboard markers? They're large and aggressively shaped but they're neither black/white nor colourful.

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

What is it that makes it look undone, I can't tell.

I have thought long and hard about it actually.

It's kind of like God (the 'I Am')

The minute you put any word after those two words...

You then define it and confine it, put it in a box and put yourself above it.

If you can define a thing, you hold yourself as knowing more about the thing than the thing.

It no longer means everything, every possibility, all possibilities, The All, The All That Is.

I have often thought this is like that, the black/white is like I Am,

It contains everything because it is undefined.

It is Creation without having created anything of particularity.

Creation in a resting position. What is Creation before it creates?

The very minute you touch it with any pattern or color, it is then defined.

It then becomes 'something' in particular, to the exclusion of all other possibilities.

The pickguard, in comparison, reflects back to the undefined nature of what is holding it in place.

Maybe better off to leave it alone. Ohmmmm.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

What was before the Big Bang?

Couldn't even imagine that we're in waters that deep!

We're actually tracking together, as I just took it another step in understanding.

To continue, the pickguard, with all the acrylic paint blobs, is also in a state of 'pre-creation'.

All the Colors of Creation are there for the artist's paintbrush to choose a color and then to create 'a thing' from the materials available.

But it hasn't happened yet.

And the human mind doesn't like that, the mind likes definition, the mind wants answers, dammit, the mind yearns for 'the (completed) thing'.

And this is sitting in a 'pre-thing' state of beingness.

So it creates a natural 'anxiety' of a sort in the mind to 'do something' about it.

But...The 'Thing' is actually the music that is spawned from the instrument, on a minute-to-minute basis.

I never had this overall concept before I built it, Its all just kind of coming to me now.

• Like 1

It is likely that all information prior to the big bang is not present in this bubble, so all we can do is theorise without having the evidence to truly reconstruct, visualise or say anything about it with certainty. It might be possible to prove that guns smoke but be absolutely unable to present a smoking gun. 

• Like 1

So, in alignment with this theory, I swapped the bridge pickup again.

It's now, really, an Andy Timmons guitar, sonically. I put a White AT-1 in the bridge, and a Cruiser Bridge in the neck (still a white cover). And I put a treble bypass circuit in it, something I found while shopping for pots awhile back. It's called a V-Treb (YT it), there's exactly One YT on it. These are all components of Andy's signature guitar circuit.

I'm thinking of using a chrome Floyd (something I would never otherwise do) As chrome is 'less' of a color than gold.

I'm now extracting colors away from it.

Every time I tried to put colorful pickups in it, it just didn't seem right, it seemed intrusive or invasive or overbaked, for lack of a better description.

So now it has white pickups and will probably have a chrome Floyd and hardware.

Its a guitar. The 'art' is supposed to be coming from the player in the form of sound and music.

And it IS called the Sonic Crayon, I think still a fitting name, even with the new entanglement theory.

10 hours ago, Drak said:

I'm now extracting colors away from it.

Every time I tried to put colorful pickups in it, it just didn't seem right, it seemed intrusive or invasive or overbaked, for lack of a better description.

That sounds both logical and viable. Colourful pickups jump proud from a single coloured pickguard whereas neutral hardware and electronics make the colourful pickguard pop. Didn't you talk about contrast in another thread?

So I think I finally got this baby figured out.

The 'link' to Gilbert and Belew were their use of bold, basic colors. Like in a crayon box (Sonic Crayon, get it?)

Like, in your face bold colors, not bursts or gradual fades or anything like that.

Bold, basic, in your face color 'blocks', whatever that block is, a geometric shape, squares, triangles,  or whatevers...

And the colors I wanted to use are the basic building block colors:

Blue, Yellow, Green, Red. Not tangerine, or purple, or aquamarine, or magenta, or fuchscia, but the basic building block colors.

And it had to look Good.

Thats whats been going through my brain for all these months driving me half-crazy.

And I just could not figure out how to incorporate those colors And have it look like 'Me' all at the same time.

But I think I finally got it, yes I do.

Will take a few weeks for a certain something to arrive to make everything happen.

Maybe you should be scared, maybe very scared...😇

Got the Floyd cavity blacked out.

bKwZRWb.jpg

On 7/16/2021 at 10:48 PM, Drak said:

And the colors I wanted to use are the basic building block colors:

Blue, Yellow, Green, Red. Not tangerine, or purple, or aquamarine, or magenta, or fuchscia, but the basic building block colors.

And it had to look Good.

One word: LEGO

• Haha 1

I made the truss rod cover for it this morning.

If I show ANY of it, it will give everything away, so I cannot.

This is going to be a surprise unveiling when the day gets here.

So I think its going undercover for awhile.

But the plan is completely solidified, I'm crazy happy with it now, and I always need 'that', I need that excitement.

After a year gazing at the damn thing over and over, wondering what to do with it.

This is a big difference, now it can gain much needed forward momentum because I can now clearly see the final product.

Green, yellow, red, blue, its all in there.

And its going to look awesome, and it will faithfully represent my original interpretive blended ideas from Belew and Gilbert.

I found a way to congeal it all and make it look like me at the same time, that was no easy task.

I needed a good opaque solid  red lacquer so I went lacquer shopping today.

Nearly all my supplies are trans dyes with a few exceptions, but I don't have any solid red pigments.

Big Apple Red. Perfect red for what I need.

Its nice to know there's always custom colored lacquers right around the corner, even on a Sunday.

Nail Lacquer Big Apple Red 0.5 oz – TOTAL BEAUTY EXPERIENCE

• Like 1

Small setback after 3 (freakin!) hours of taping up the body (again).

I decided to add a few small drops of black pigment to the Big Apple Red to darken it just slightly.

Wellsir, that was a mistake right there. Came out like a Black Cherry look (duh...)

Too dark, it lost the 'fun and cheery' look (you know, the LEGO look).

BUT, I shoot color coats like that paper, paper, paper thin.

So, off to the nail section of WalMart for another bottle of Big Apple Red.

With no additives this time.

• Like 2

So, I can show this much w/o really handing over the goods.

This is just the background, but the red was important to get in there, and it's not done yet.

I'll have to re-shoot the Floyd Cavity again, no big deal, got it covered.

But...can you believe how I screwed the first spray up?

Its Horrible. Ackkkkkkkkkk!

EAEraSm.jpg

DUDE, WHAT (TF) WERE YOU THINKING???

nUBp3c6.jpg

OK, Recovery initiated, all is well, and an added bonus ...my nails look damn Spectacular! 😘

ztvnzJ3.jpg

tcsikDY.jpg

sHvkCe9.jpg

10 hours ago, Drak said:

But...can you believe how I screwed the first spray up?

Its Horrible. Ackkkkkkkkkk!

That colour looks like something you'd not want to see in your toilet bowl. It's like a combination of diarrhea, intestinal bleeding and hemorrhoids.