Vote on my last build of 2021! (closed)

Prostheta

Which build would you like to see?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which build would you like to see?

• ESP Mirage
    • BC Rich Mockingbird
    • Fender Jaguar/Marauder
    • Aria Pro II PE

This poll is closed to new votes

You chose the Aria Pro II PE; this then, is what you'll have.....!

------

Alright everyone. As I write this I am in the process of finishing up my ultra-relic Frankenstrat and finish sanding my 5-string Aria Pro II SB type bass. There should be enough time to produce one more instrument before the year is up, so I think it's a great opportunity to throw this one out to a vote for you to decide! The choices are constrained by materials I already have on hand and the like, so there won't be a massive amount of leeway on that side of things, however my intention is to detail the process from beginning to end in my painfully-finicky mode. Very photo heavy, very texty but equally very explainy. I've never been that good at "inventing" new designs, so they will be aligned with recognisable instruments but in a form that just isn't available beyond absolute custom shop. All of my approach to CNC work, template making, sanding, hand routing and desktop work will be laid out in painfully annoying detail.

The challengers are (click links for individual threads):

1. ESP Mirage
  2. BC Rich Mockingbird
  3. Fender Jaguar/Marauder
  4. Aria Pro II PE

....manufacturer's trademarks and names are purely for providing a reference point. None of this is with their endorsement or consent. Their names are used solely for the purpose of providing a mental pin on where the final ideas flow from, not towards.

ESP Mirage

The thing that bothers me about most painted commercial superstrat type guitars is that they opt to use paint-grade middling tonewoods under the paint. Check Ibanez' year on year releases of the RG and S series, and woods that one would choose for tonal purposes as opposed to mass-manufacture friendly just can't be found.

So this will be a straight bolt-on guitar made for a deep gloss show paint - whether that be a straight black or some custom colour - but using a good wood chosen for sound under the hood. I have a nice several-years-dry Khaya blank that would suit this nicely.

Basic material spec for this is a Khaya body, laminated Maple/Bubinga neck and Ebony fingerboard. This is flexible of course, and if I can acquire enough information/collaboration on top carve contour refinement I could re-invent the Japanese custom shop Mirage I sold many years ago. This was an Alder/Maple body (black back), QS Maple neck, Ebony fingerboard. Flat-mounted OFR. She was mighty.

P10100072.JPG

BC Rich Mockingbird

This is an exercise in recycling and electronics!! After laminating up a HUGE blank for a Firebird, I was left with a chunk large enough for another neck-through body with leftovers for a scarfed headstock. The width of the blank makes it feasible to apply the Firebird-style raised centre section to the design, which is pretty novel. I can't not apply the ridiculously-complex electronics to this build, so this will be similar to the original but based around one of my flexible Aria Pro II 18v retrofit preamps, active varitone LPF filter and all.

The neck blank is predominantly 5 pieces of Sapele with pinstripes of Walnut veneer between. Wings being a sandwich of Sapele and Walnut, potentially with a facing veneer of Walnut burl might be on the table depending on how it measures up. I envisage this as a fixed bridge sort of instrument with some possibility of multiscale going in there.

bcr_20090-16-20050715162617-1263x445-1.jpg

Fender Jaguar/Marauder

This is another potential electronics monster, however a very easy build from a technical standpoint with some nice adventures into how one might approach various techniques via CNC or solid for-purpose jig-building methods. Some sort of tremolo system on here is in keeping with the pedigree, however bringing up the scale somewhat from 24" seems appropriate.

How about massive hollowbody chambering as a thinline? I'm sure this has been done, however with collaborative ideas in the mix along with the potential for heavy CNC work to get the absolute most out of the body it could be pretty damn lively. I don't have the woods for this, so there's a fair amount of flexibility on where it can go.

Again, I might involve that sweet 18v preamp in here to bring in more silence and responsiveness, perhaps with a novel implementation of the filter using roller wheel pots.

Discussion can be had on whether to use the original Jaguar singles or go someplace else entirely like this Marauder.

1540_1_ver0.jpg

Aria Pro II PE

Les Pauls are definitely not old hat and my first foray into these years ago ended up with too many problems to complete. Things are different now, so maybe re-visiting carved-top singlecut territory armed to the teeth is an option. That same dry Khaya blank can be topped with some good Maple (at a bit of cost though) and paired with either the Maple blank discussed with the Mirage build, or the Sapele multilam blank with the Mockingbird. Either way, a more player-centric singlecut that takes the best parts of the Les Paul and adds in modern features that are genuinely usable; dual coil cut switches, contoured heel access, etc.

This also happens to be my dream burst; I suspect this one was a refin or custom shop. Nonetheless, just look at it. @Drak?

80-2013530141850_original.jpg

---

Even though my actual approach to each will be based around prevailing circumstances (losing access to a CNC will be a bummer, losing it due to employment issues will be a financial one also) I intend to discuss and explain alternatives to each step or decision that should help make the final build useful for anybody to take a lot from.

This is a work in progress, and I think the key decision-making time will be around September 2021. Partly I will know of my employment going forward but also it lets me clear down current builds and get a bit of post-summer financial resetting in.

I've pretty much already modelled one, Scott. Of course, I'd re-do the whole thing from scratch purely to outline my methods, and ensure that my rationales are open to scrutiny. There's nothing like giving your ideas the acid test (not that acid test) to proof ideas or highlight areas ripe for improvement. The idea of finishing the Maple gives me the willies (not that kind of willy) since finishing is absolutely not my strongest point. I may have the availability of a spray booth, but would literally need complete guidance start to finish. Dr Nitro on YouTube does stunning bursts on his Les Paul copies which in many ways outlines how to achieve those finishes, but actually doing it is a world of difference. Still, there are definitely dreams attached to that sublime honeyburst.

Similar attachment exists with the Mirage idea. A flattop with a plain paint finish would be super cool, but I'd definitely want to rattle out whether I can develop a carve in the spirit of the original. Votes and discussion will be the arbiter, methinks.

• Like 1

If you're willing to go 'there' with the sharp angles of a BC Rich, I would offer this.

Its kinda like a BC Rich 'lite', but I quite like it a lot.

More streamlined and grown up, not quite so 'teenager exaggerated' in the angles.

But definitely has BC Rich in the bloodline.

xCd7blD.jpg

There are ways to be really creative w/o having to rely on finishing skills, Conklin being an excellent example.

Although of course his finishing skills are excellent, these types of designs don't count on that ability so much.

Yet in their own way are immensely creative and don't look like a copy of everything else out there.

u2vRHMx.jpg

XrHgtlu.jpg

txb6YfC.jpg

A twist on your Aria idea.

sw3boG6.jpg

The singlecut reminds me of the DBZ/Diamond "Bolero", the crossed binding and multi-level curves, etc. Not my thing, but a cool idea and well-executed. They are absolutely in the face of the established techniques that they're clearly drawn from.

I do something more "out there" than the relatively pedestrian builds listed, however I cannot guarantee to meet the budget as finances may be in flux in the forthcoming. These builds all include materials that I already have good to do, so aren't truly scratch builds. The details may change, but not so much. My underlying reason for doing this is to help me commit to one very-possible build (ASD blesses me so) with minimal changes from the presented idea, with the focus being on an excruciatingly-detailed build from design (and how/why this is done) through to actualisation and all the magic in between the pavers.

If the work situation proves to be more stable than I am anticipating then I'll maybe expand the scope of the final build. For example, explaining how to work with with fibre optics for side markers, fretboard inlaying, etc. This being said, the path will be kept to in order to not invite my head to fixate on something silly.

Dance ON the yellow brick road, dance on the yellow brick road, the yellow brick road, the yellow brick road, don't look around the yellow brick road - *clicks fingers* - you're under.

I think that because my imagining of each instrument is either very specific or has to work within certain constraints, I'll do a thread for each concept here within the Design Bar section of the forums. That way each one can be explored a little further whilst reining in the specifics, perhaps even exploring the reasoning as to why each instrument is on the list for me. As I do this, I'll edit and add links to the opening post.

Les Paul style guitars sit near the top of my list, and, in correlation, prefer guitars with carves over flat/slab bodies.  Since you like the burst but maybe find it a bit daunting, it might be an argument why you should build the Aria. Get better at finishing and bursts by doing more finishes and bursts, right?

That said, my initial reaction even before seeing the breakdown of each was "ooh, Mockingbird - don't see those as often, that would be interesting."  Then adding in the Firebird-esque raised section, I would like to see what that turns out like.

So personally/technically my vote is to see the Mockingbird build, but logic(?) points a little more towards the Aria. (Though of course, could also apply finish/burst to other designs...)

• Like 1

• Prostheta changed the title to Vote on my last build of 2021! (closed)
  • Prostheta locked this topic