Who's Going to Make the First Rubber Saddle Guitar Around Here?

Drak

Well, that sent me down a YouTube rabbit hole...

It's trying to achieve the opposite of what I (and many others) are usually looking for from a guitar; great sustain, rich harmonics, etc.  But it does have its own sound/place, even if it does sound kinda similar to the plastic toy guitars I had as a toddler.  Goes to show music can be made from all kinds of items. I'm not in any rush to make a rubber saddle muted guitar, however it's given me some ideas of where it could add to a mix/tune.  Actually, it might be an interesting application in a bass design.

There's many types of rubber, starting from the soft eraser type to semi hard car tyre to the hard rubber used for combs.

Back in the day I read a book about guitar playing, written in the late sixties by a Finnish session player. If memory serves me right, he mentioned tucking a piece of foam rubber or something similar right in front of the bridge for a slightly muted sound pretty similar to those rubber bridge guitars.