My last build of 2021? - ESP Mirage

Prostheta

This thread is part of a larger idea, which is for ProjectGuitar.com members to vote on which guitar I build as the last of 2021. Each idea has a specific meaning to me which I'll be exploring within each of these four threads.

Find the main thread here: https://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/54175-vote-on-my-last-build-of-2021/

----

This thread is specific to my ideas of building a guitar based on the ESP Mirage. Not any Mirage though, but a reproduction of a Japanese custom shop instrument I had the privilege of owning in the early 00's. I never managed to get any good information on this beauty, and finding a carved top "The Mirage Custom" via Google is fruitless. I've worked out a few specifics and conclusions which I believe are in line with ESP's developing lines at that point in time....

The basic specs were are looking at with the original. Anything marked "(?)" is potentially inaccurate info which I'll update if possible.

• Body
    • Alder with subtly-flamed Maple top
    • HSS configuration
    • Volume/Tone
    • 3-way mini toggle pickup selector
    • Flat-mounted OFR bridge
    • Cream binding
    • Black back, transparent amber top
    • Bit of black plastic....I couldn't begin to answer why it was there....
  • Neck
    • Bolt-on three-piece quartersawn Maple with headstock scarf
    • "Lawsuit" headstock, cream binding
    • 12" radius (?) Ebony fingerboard, cream binding
    • White pearl block markers
    • Black side markers
    • Aluminium U-channel truss rod (?)
    • Jumbo fretwire
    • 42mm nut width, probably an R2 nut
    • String retention bar

The carved top is consistent with the ESP Horizon that preceded the Mirage. From what I am aware, the outline shape of both instruments is near as damnit identical, so perhaps this might have been more correct leaving the factory as a Horizon model. The carve differs in a key area, which is the lower cutaway. There just isn't one here.

Having that cutaway would involve a wasteful and perhaps even an ugly binding line around the body. 80s ESP Horizon model.

giftkpxtz6oxfgax77g4.jpg

My photo archive of ESPs from that era show a correlation between "The Mirage Custom" as being a 24-fret model and "The Mirage" as 22-fret. Even though I like the idea of a 24-fret guitar being in the stable again, I am trained to hearing my neck pickup sitting right under that node and sounding more "tubular" with sweetness with the tone rolled back. That and the issue with making the binding work whilst having Horizon-type upper access in the carve underlines the point. Without it, those frets aren't handy.

This might be a good opportunity to mention intended pickup choice; straight HH rather than HS/HSS. I imagine something more kicking in the bridge position than my SD TB-11 Custom Custom, paired with a sweeter neck pickup like a Pearly Gates. I'd happily repeat the success of the Custom Custom/'59 that I get in my #1, however I'd like to bring something both new yet familiar to the table.

The essential specification of this proposed build will be retained, with the only modifications being to the pickups and maybe the body wood. The neck may be a multilam depending on available materials at the time. The paint may be a sticking point for me, as finishing has always been my weakest skill.