Samick Silvertone "Strat" - repair advice needed

Gonecat

Hello all, this is my first post here and I hope I've plonked it down in the right place.

I have this old Samick that I got for maybe $60 15 years ago that I have played and loved ever since.  It has a really dark tone for a strat, which I love, so I'd like to repair it but I haven't worked on guitar mechanics before (only electronics). 

I'll be doing this work myself so I've come looking for help, can anyone get me pointed in the right direction?

1) The bridge is unseated - I've included a couple of photos

2) The cheap plastic tuners need to be replaced - how do I determine which to get?

sm-bridge-1.jpg.67b235606a1c7b7469107c5b528ddbca.jpgsm-bridge-2.jpg.98c5b779be63387c3b99d88b02b61981.jpgsm-back.jpg.e340870a0c19528fa73195e78e673748.jpgsm-head.thumb.jpg.e58d0b12e1e29421321a3f4e1b4a9643.jpg

Thanks for any help!

2 hours ago, Gonecat said:

1) The bridge is unseated -

Looks like either the springs are too loose or weak, or the six screws on top are too tight. If you can't push it down with your hand it's the latter.

2 hours ago, Gonecat said:

2) The cheap plastic tuners need to be replaced - how do I determine which to get?

Measure... To avoid redrilling the holes you need to know the diameter and length of the string capstans so they'll fit into the original capstan bushings - or you'll also need to know the outer diameter and length of the bushings so they'll fit the existing holes. And then you need to know the size of the tuner housing so they'll match the spacing. Your photos don't show how the tuners are attached but I assume there's a screw or two. You may be able to find a matching set but if the only issue is misplaced screw holes, filling them and drilling new ones is no big issue. Gotoh, Kluson and Wilkinson among others make decent priced good quality sets, I'd say for non-locking tuners the price range for a decent quality set is about $30-40, premium quality being double or triple of that and most likely overkill for that guitar.

The type of tuners you need is 6L meaning 6 in line on the left side looking from the top.

• Like 2