recycled rosewood

A picture is worth a thousand words, eh? And six pictures worth six thousand... In this case that's so very true although it doesn't tell anything about you and your builder history or how you acquired that table 😉

I sort of envy you guys living in old colonial powers as you have access to some rather inexpensive exotic wood furniture - solid wood instead of battenboard (old good quality) or chipboard (current quality). Having first been the backwoods of Sweden and later a periphery of the Russian Empire the rare upper class furniture is considered antique... And even back then the local cabinet makers substituted the exotic woods with dyed local ones. And our local ones aren't too sought after as tonewood...

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

I sort of envy you guys living in old colonial powers as you have access to some rather inexpensive exotic wood furniture

I spent the first 45 years of my life in England and the only exotic wood furniture I ever found was an old, broken chest of drawers (with some missing) that turned out to be solid mahogany. Not much of it was useful for making instruments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Higham said:

the only exotic wood furniture I ever found was an old, broken chest of drawers (with some missing) that turned out to be solid mahogany

Well maybe it's just that I've never heard any Finnish builder find any solid exotic wooden furniture that could be used for guitars while I've heard of several ones from Britain. Agreed, the body of the Red Special is blockboard and the Oak neck of it is most likely domestic so that one doesn't actually count. But I know about at least three or four, starting from Ben Crowe at Crimson Guitars to someone on the late Crimson forum to someone on this very forum, all this during the last five years or so. It's rare but it happens. Stairs, tables, bar counters of solid mahogany, walnut or other tonewoods... Oh well, Bill Kirchen's Tele was built of pine so I guess I should end my rant right here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

A picture is worth a thousand words, eh? And six pictures worth six thousand... In this case that's so very true although it doesn't tell anything about you and your builder history or how you acquired that table 😉

I sort of envy you guys living in old colonial powers as you have access to some rather inexpensive exotic wood furniture - solid wood instead of battenboard (old good quality) or chipboard (current quality). Having first been the backwoods of Sweden and later a periphery of the Russian Empire the rare upper class furniture is considered antique... And even back then the local cabinet makers substituted the exotic woods with dyed local ones. And our local ones aren't too sought after as tonewood...

Sorry for not explaining enough.

the table was purchased from GumtreeUK £450.

the only problem with rosewood is the weight, this took 3 of us to carry.

as you can see it is or was 60mm thick took 2 days to cut and plane in my shed.

with the legs I have enough for 12 bodies 8 necks 18 fretboards although the one pictured is wenge fretboard.

it is a rather heavy guitar as you can imagine. About me well this is my hobby and I build in my shed in the garden. All guitars are cut shaped routed by hand as I don’t have cnc just a bandsaw and Agee other bits and bobs.

have already made a reverse explorer with this table . If anyone wants to see let me know and I will post.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dave Higham said:

I spent the first 45 years of my life in England and the only exotic wood furniture I ever found was an old, broken chest of drawers (with some missing) that turned out to be solid mahogany. Not much of it was useful for making instruments.

Got a lot more pics if you want to see after cutting and planning?.

5 hours ago, mwez219 said:

Sorry for not explaining enough.

Nothing to be sorry about, I'm just snappy...

More pictures? Other projects? Yes please! Including all the stories, mishaps, successes and whatever has happened and what you have learned during building them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...