G&W Guitars Defective Templates - Check You Scale Length

Earlier this year, I purchased a PRS 22 template for a guitar build.  I spent a small fortune on wood (circa £300 with a AAA flame maple top) and went through the entire build process.  When I was assembling, I decided to take some measurements and was astounded to find out that the distance from nut to 12th fret was not the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the tremolo.  And the saddle adjustments on the tremolo weren't nearly enough to correct the issue. 

I tried to convince G&W of the problem but they denied it claiming they've sold hundreds of these with no problems reported (see attached email snap).  It was only when I sent all the info to Chris at Crimson Guitars and he confirmed the template was defective that they admitted there was a problem. 

If you're one of the hundreds that have used their template to build a guitar, I'm afraid you'll never get correct intonation.   

In the end, they refunded me the cost of the template.   They didn't take into consideration the time and money spent on the guitar I made that could never have proper intonation.

I spent 17 days providing more and more evidence to them and they continued to shrug me off.  I had also ordered the neck blank from them with the scarf joint cut.  They just seem to make the cut arbitrarily and the result was a neck that was shorter than the template rendering it useless.  They shrugged this off as well saying they can't be responsible for this because they don't know what guitars people are building (despite ordering the PRS 22 template and a bunch of other PRS 22 jigs at the same time). 

I appreciate things happen but it's how they are dealt with that matters.  I thought their customer service was poor at best and wouldn't do business with them again as a result.

Whatever the case, if you have one of their templates, check the measurements.  If they are incorrect, flood then with complaints.

I'm not a professional builder so don't know how best to spread the word so feel free to pass this on.  

In case there's any question as to the authenticity of my claims, I attach a screen shot of the email where they finally admit liability.

All the best,

Erik

G&W Admission.jpg