Wiring diagram 1 PU, 1 Switch (no volume / tone knob) question

fabyo

hi,

can you guys please tell me how to wire a single pickup (lundgren m6) to a 3-way switch?

(used switch link: https://www.musikhaus-korn.de/de/goeldo-el3pl-standard-3-weg-schalter-2-ebenen/pd/189253?utm_source=GoogleMHK&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=csv&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0dnp2oDc8wIVjOF3Ch1t-QeFEAQYASABEgID9_D_BwE)

How far I am atm: 

- hot to #1
- solder #4 to #5
- PU ground to switch ground

but what number should I solder from the switch to the tip of the jack? And do I have to do anything more to the switch other than said above?

thanks in advance and please excuse my lack of knowledge, cant find anything in the internet about this specific setup and its my first guitar build ever

greetings from germany
fabian

Hi and welcome!

I can't tell you anything about how to wire your pickup but I guess those who know would like to know what you're after.

For a single pickup you don't necessarily need a switch, just the pot(s). BUT since your pickup is a humbucker that has four leads a three way switch can give you some new sounds. What are the sounds you're after? Here's already four ways: https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-garage/humbucker-wiring-options

hi, thanks for your reply!

I know I dont need a switch but I want to use it as an on-off switch (bridge position is sound on, neck position is sound off). The reason for that is that I am upgrading from a (cheaper) guitar body and I can cover up the holes where the pots were more easily than the holes of the 3-way switch. 

I just need to know how to wire the 3way switch to the jack

12 hours ago, curtisa said:

Assuming you don't want volume or tone pots, and positions 2 and 3 can be 'pickup off' positions:

image.png

Thank you very much for your reply! 

That way I wouldn't have to ground the switch anymore because I already do it with the A2 and A3 right?

20 hours ago, fabyo said:

I want to use it as an on-off switch

Ahh, I couldn't read it in your first post.

I still can't help wondering why you want only one sound out of a versatile pickup.

19 hours ago, fabyo said:

Thank you very much for your reply! 

That way I wouldn't have to ground the switch anymore because I already do it with the A2 and A3 right?

You're welcome :)

Re, grounding the switch: Not strictly necessary as such. However if you want to maintain the integrity of the shielding paint/foil (if any), you could solder an additional short jumper from A2 to the frame of the switch. Normally the volume pot case would be connected to ground and then the shielding grounded by virtue of the pot being screwed onto the cavity wall. But as you're removing everything inside the cavity except for the switch you'll lose that inherent grounding through the metallic case of the pot.

However, as you're using a humbucker with (presumably) some shielded four core conductor cable, and not employing coil splitting, you can probably get away without adding a dedicated ground connection to the switch (other than what is shown on my diagram) and save the trouble of grounding the shielding as well.

18 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Ahh, I couldn't read it in your first post.

I still can't help wondering why you want only one sound out of a versatile pickup.

No problem at all ;)

Just to help you sleep better: I need only one sound because I am no versatile player at all, I just wanna go low end and chug and do metalcore riffs, no need for me to get anything more than one good sound for that :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, curtisa said:

You're welcome :)

Re, grounding the switch: Not strictly necessary as such. However if you want to maintain the integrity of the shielding paint/foil (if any), you could solder an additional short jumper from A2 to the frame of the switch. Normally the volume pot case would be connected to ground and then the shielding grounded by virtue of the pot being screwed onto the cavity wall. But as you're removing everything inside the cavity except for the switch you'll lose that inherent grounding through the metallic case of the pot.

However, as you're using a humbucker with (presumably) some shielded four core conductor cable, and not employing coil splitting, you can probably get away without adding a dedicated ground connection to the switch (other than what is shown on my diagram) and save the trouble of grounding the shielding as well.

Thank you very much for the clarification! 

I think I'll go the safe route and just ground the frame of the switch, since the göldo has already a spot for that :)

14 minutes ago, fabyo said:

I am no versatile player at all, I just wanna go low end and chug and do metalcore riffs

We're in the same boat, my playing consists mostly of three palm muted chords with a slapback echo... No metal riffs, just plain old hillbilly thumping.

• Haha 1