Short Scale Bass Build

Nicco

7 hours ago, Nicco said:

temps in there are pretty high. 

But does it have a large air exhaust like kilns do? The temperature of steam is also high but it won't dry anything!

2 hours ago, Nicco said:

I meant in a negative way that the temperature and humidity in there fluctuates wildly.

Thanks for clarifying, otherwise some future reader might have thought that a hot shed would shorten the drying time of their wood.

• Like 1

More or less finished sanding the carve on the back of the guitar last night, last little bits will be when I'm doing final sanding for the whole thing now. 

I wasn't going too, but I couldn't help myself, I started on the carve of the top; I really wanted to see what the reveal of the blackwood looked like. Anyway, pictures attached. It's very rough at the moment with obviously a lot more refining to do, but still, super excited by how it looks!

20211129_204137.jpg

20211129_200505.jpg

20211129_205329.jpg

• Like 2

Ha ha ha, see how it looks when it comes out of the oven, hey? 

Thanks again fellas. Very happy with how it's coming along so far. Snuck half an hour in while the little fella had his arvo nap. Still refining, but had to throw the bridge and pickups in place to see how it looks. 

20211203_140233.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, merry Christmas to everyone. 

Things are progressing very slowly at the moment, between fighting off killer daycare bugs that the little fella brought home with him, and with temperatures being up over 40 deg C lately. Urgh!!

I have managed to mostly cut the fret slots using my little mitre box jig again. This gidgee is much much harder than the timber I used on the first guitar, the little saw is getting a proper workout now! Ha ha

20211216_204411.jpg

• Like 1

I got a good run at the fretboard yesterday. Managed to finish the fret slots, cut the fret markers, bind the fretboard with 0.6mm bunya pine veneer (same as the body blank) and then line the outside edge with more gidgee. Will make sense in the photos. Ha ha. 

I've got stone shaping and binding to do still on the heel end of the board, plus final trimming to width, but it's all coming together. 

I'm not keen to try this kind of fret marker again though. My bandsaw hasn't turned up yet, so I had to cut it all with a handsaw. Trying to keep everything straight and perpendicular to the centre line was and absolute pain, and all the little fiddly bits to inlay were a trouble too. Definitely doing something easier next time. Ha ha

20220103_193440.jpg

20220103_193719.jpg

20220103_193727.jpg

4 hours ago, Nicco said:

Definitely doing something easier next time.

That's what I thought after my previous build. The current one has been under progress twice as long as any of the previous ones and it's still not ready...

• Haha 1

Hell end of the fret board is now shaped and bound. Next step is to trim all the gidgee binding down to final thickness, it'll be about 1mm wide in the end. 

I have actually filled the little gap that was left by doing the bunya pine strip in the gidgee outer, but because of the glue and not having sanded it all to final shape it looks like a gap in this photo. 

I realised after I finished the binding the other day, I should have done the heel first, but oh well! Ha ha 

20220106_124717.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Nicco said:

had a couple of spots to fill with super glue and dust and they've disappeared nicely.

You were lucky! Super glue and pale dust usually end up much darker than expected, mostly because of the heat produced by the hardening process - you may even see smoke sometimes! On darker woods it works fine, though, and as your fretboard has those darker lines the choice was most likely right.