StewMac tools and other USA stuff hard to get in Europe

asgeirogm

Hey,

I have family going to the US in the next few days and I thought I might take advantage and buy some luthier supplies that are hard to come by in Europe. I was thinking I would get the StewMac original Z crowning file as I've read good things about that (if someone has other suggestions, I would love to hear then). Is there anything else that fellow Europeans have had a difficult time acquiring that is widely available in the US?

It could be tools, finishing supplies, dyes, hardware, etc...

Edited by asgeirogm

I posted a thread recently regarding stewmac, I'm in UK and took out Stewmax, it's around £28/year and you get free worldwide shipping, as many orders as you want and no minimum order cost. Not sure what the import tax situation is like where you are, but here if your order+ shipping is < £135, you pay no import tax. So a lot of items work out considerably cheaper than buying from Europe, even parts. Gotoh tuners etc are upto £15 cheaper than the likes of Thomann, and obviously the tools that you can only get from stewmac don't come with the massive shipping and import cost. 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:44 PM, ADFinlayson said:

I posted a thread recently regarding stewmac, I'm in UK and took out Stewmax, it's around £28/year and you get free worldwide shipping, as many orders as you want and no minimum order cost. Not sure what the import tax situation is like where you are, but here if your order+ shipping is < £135, you pay no import tax. So a lot of items work out considerably cheaper than buying from Europe, even parts. Gotoh tuners etc are upto £15 cheaper than the likes of Thomann, and obviously the tools that you can only get from stewmac don't come with the massive shipping and import cost. 

Somehow missed the notification and only saw this now. I'm in Denmark (i.e. EU), and think the limit for orders outside the EU was something like to $12, but as far as I understand, the rules were recently changed so now there is no minimum amount, I need to pay import tax and VAT on everything, regardless of the price. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Danish postal office charges a fixed fee of something like $20 for every order they need to process from outside the EU regardless of the price, so ordering from outside the EU now has pretty much become a non starter unless no other option.

That's at least my understanding of the situation.

I will take a look at tuners though, I know what I want for my next build so I can compare prices on Thomann and StewMac :)