Ok, so bought some more wood today... but it was an interesting experience... "look mom - no hands"

so went to my local spot and found a lovely piece of 1 3/4" super figured hard maple... couldn't pass up.  

paid, and went to the guys who will cut it in half.  the guy puts it on the chop saw (this is 1 3/4" x 6" x 10') and i can see he's just barely holding on to the thing... I wrestle with saying something but didn't.  then saw kicks back.  dude shits himself... gathers his courage to finish the cut... but this time decides it'd be safer if he just didn't put his hands anywhere near the wood.  naturally I took 27 steps back.  I don't want to offend the guy, and i don't want to make him feel bad... and I wrestle with saying something all the way back to my truck and even right now.  

how would that have gone down if you were there?

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Stepping back and saying something like "I now understand why you don't want customers without adequate protective wear in the production premises..."

you would think they would have some bit of training for the employees on something like that lol.

• Like 1

You would but I guess at some point we've all become so self-confident that we simply forget to follow the safety orders and continued to use the unsafe methods until something serious enough happens to wake us up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

You would but I guess at some point we've all become so self-confident that we simply forget to follow the safety orders and continued to use the unsafe methods until something serious enough happens to wake us up.

in that case you'd think the kickback would be that wake up... but his response to it brings me back to thinking a little training would go a long way!  

7 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

my title is mostly a pun: fer reals... "look mom - I have no hands now"

Understood, but for some (hopefully not him) that's when they notice their mistake. For some even that won't be enough, they'd blame someone else, the conditions, position of the stars but never themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Understood, but for some (hopefully not him) that's when they notice their mistake. For some even that won't be enough, they'd blame someone else, the conditions, position of the stars but never themselves.

so true.  I generally work from the principle that everything is my fault even when it's not... and sometimes I zero in on the problem and even find that it's NOT actually my fault.  Perhaps that's an older/wiser(somewhat) thing