design(s) feedback/vote if you would be so kind?

mistermikev

design(s) feedback if you would be so kind? can't build 'em all... which one's are the best?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They all are nice variations of the theme and as such worthy to be built. Having seen your previous builds I voted for something I don't seem to have seen you build yet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nakedzen said:

Something about the color scheme of penny leaf looks interesting to me. Not so sure about the tree graphic/inlay.

thank you sir.  my wife really likes that one too.  yes, perhaps the tree is too much.  these are all works in progress and that one... just seemed like it needed something on the body but perhaps not.  very much appreciate the reply!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

They all are nice variations of the theme and as such worthy to be built. Having seen your previous builds I voted for something I don't seem to have seen you build yet!

right on.  very much appreciate the feedback.  I think there is a little challenge for me with each one... something I haven't done... but yes, for sure some more than others!!  I think the nouvelle will be one I can really get out there on... was thinking I might try to do a 'frame' style build with a seperate top for the back, and top... and perhaps an arc to them both.  multiscale for sure would be something new.  

the penny leaf will be an experiment in how much I can get out of one sissoo billet.  extending that about as far as I could go.  is a very non traditional but interesting piece of wood.

thanks again for taking the time!!

1 hour ago, Gogzs said:

I'm a simple man who likes the look of raw wood. Nouvelle takes the cake (also, I wanna see a fanned fret LP build :D )

well thank you gogzs really appreciate the feedback.  I've gotten some feedback elsewhere too and it seems that one is a def 'do'.  I was told in a few spots maybe the pickguard could use some work there... perhaps solid ebony but some sort of bacote detail.  

it's funny how these things work... my least fav of all was the sissoo build (penny leaf)... here and elsewhere it was very popular... altho a common thread was that the body tree was too much.  

my fav is the brushmaster.  it is also multiscale.  it's also a great opportunity to learn some things about inlay/marquetry.  Got some feedback suggesting the rosewood leaves on the body would be improved if they were more on the upper bout instead of centered.  

so... with that in mind I'm revisiting all and all ears if any other changes might be suggested.

thank  y'all again for the input - very much appreciate it!!

38 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

my fav is the brushmaster.  it is also multiscale.  it's also a great opportunity to learn some things about inlay/marquetry.  Got some feedback suggesting the rosewood leaves on the body would be improved if they were more on the upper bout instead of centered.  

Brushmaster was my second pick, but the "I'm a simple man" prevailed, inlay on brushmaster is a bit too much for me. As far as "more on the upper bout" goes, I also agree with that, to the point I used my level 9000 paint skills to mock up how I had it in my mind. 

hT2mRda.jpg

Sorry if I touched your designs inappropriately. But yeah, that's where I'd place it as well, in my head it just makes sense that it's up there instead symmetric in the center.

All in all, I will be honest, I like all the designs to an extend, non of them make me puke a little in my mouth, it's just, some of them I'd like to own more than others :D when I see that you put custom designed knobs on some of these, I know it's gonna be good, whatever you build :D 

1 hour ago, Gogzs said:

Brushmaster was my second pick, but the "I'm a simple man" prevailed, inlay on brushmaster is a bit too much for me. As far as "more on the upper bout" goes, I also agree with that, to the point I used my level 9000 paint skills to mock up how I had it in my mind. 

hT2mRda.jpg

Sorry if I touched your designs inappropriately. But yeah, that's where I'd place it as well, in my head it just makes sense that it's up there instead symmetric in the center.

All in all, I will be honest, I like all the designs to an extend, non of them make me puke a little in my mouth, it's just, some of them I'd like to own more than others :D when I see that you put custom designed knobs on some of these, I know it's gonna be good, whatever you build :D 

"get yer hands off her biff" hehe. 

above- that's almost identical to what I've done w it except I grabbed the spot fro 7th to 9th fret and did two of them at opposites to each other.  In fact when I first saw your post I did a double take and was like "did I post that already?"  I like what you did there and solute your photoshop skills. 

inlay = too much.  I kind of feel that... any suggestions to improve?  Perhaps in a few spots where I've got leaves overlapping to remove some?  perhaps just reduce the size of them so they don't take up as much of the fretboard?  I'm gonna take this comment to heart and I very much appreciate it.

thank you for the kind comments re the "good" - I'll try to live up to that!  

17 hours ago, mistermikev said:

inlay = too much.  I kind of feel that... any suggestions to improve?  Perhaps in a few spots where I've got leaves overlapping to remove some?  perhaps just reduce the size of them so they don't take up as much of the fretboard?  I'm gonna take this comment to heart and I very much appreciate it.

Really no idea, I tried to go with the "tree of life" inlay style but with the leaves you're using, they just don't fit. I don't wanna lose details, because the way you've done them, they do look pretty. But yeah, no idea how to retain details yet not make it look to cluttered. Maybe just use acorn nuts as the fretmarkers and have a branch go all across the fretboard. Best'o'luck mate, can't wait to see what you'll pick :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Really no idea, I tried to go with the "tree of life" inlay style but with the leaves you're using, they just don't fit. I don't wanna lose details, because the way you've done them, they do look pretty. But yeah, no idea how to retain details yet not make it look to cluttered. Maybe just use acorn nuts as the fretmarkers and have a branch go all across the fretboard. Best'o'luck mate, can't wait to see what you'll pick :) 

very much appreciate the feedback.  will try some things and see what shakes.  again, thank you!!

PennyLeaf.jpg

Brushmaster.jpg

I prefer the Penny Leaf idea, as using sapwood judiciously can be stunning when balanced well. I'd say that the headstock is the big sticking point. Literally, those points sticking out are mostly short grain and will break off during build or during the first year of ownership! One idea would be to use a contrasting dark wood as the basis for the headstock material so that the curly bits are only carved down into that through the contrasting laminates. All of the effect and none of the weakness. That would be something to mock up prior to commitment in the workpiece.

• Like 1

Also, the adjuster access for the truss rod can be moved to 15th fret so that the adjustment length is in the bendiest part of the neck. That is, unless the adjuster at 22nd is super long and reaches out to a rod that acts over the normal stretch anyway.

Who made an inlaid cover for one of these recently? I'm wanting to say @Andyjr1515 however I'm pretty certain I'm wrong. That sort of craftiness would be right up Andy's street though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I prefer the Penny Leaf idea, as using sapwood judiciously can be stunning when balanced well. I'd say that the headstock is the big sticking point. Literally, those points sticking out are mostly short grain and will break off during build or during the first year of ownership! One idea would be to use a contrasting dark wood as the basis for the headstock material so that the curly bits are only carved down into that through the contrasting laminates. All of the effect and none of the weakness. That would be something to mock up prior to commitment in the workpiece.

thank you very much for the veteran feedback @Prostheta, very much appreciate it! 

afa the "horns" well... lets see, how long ago did I build this tele (below)?  guess it was gotm oct 2020 so... 14 months... haHA!  against all odds the horns remain!  In all seriousness tho, In early state of the "les flaus" build, I had seriously considered exactly as you describe - making the horns only partial depth... and leaving 1/8" of wood in the hole.  After cutting one out... it's actually pretty strong.  Esp since there is a 1/8" overlay there with longer grain. 

On back, I had put in a central rib to should prevent them (for the most part) from touching first in the event of a drop.  Admittedly, haven't drop tested this one tho!

This design was inspired by the popular vintage mandolin design... which doesn't seem to suffer a reputation for loosing the little horn, altho in that case they are a hair thicker.  I figure if you hit it with the router and it doesn't go flying off to the other end of the garage... \0/ it's good!

either way it's gotta last longer than this:

BCRichWarlockheadstock.jpg

In thinking about it... I have still considered leaving some wood there and may decide to do so at go time.  thank  you for the suggestion and thoughtful feedback.  I am potentially building one of these for yet another friend... so probably would be wise to give that some serious thought for his at least!!

LesFlaus05.jpg.f9e83f545d560456af41f8fd83b4d56e.jpg

LesFlaus04.jpg.68085eef7ecd4cce3fa7344554d7ba93.jpg

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Also, the adjuster access for the truss rod can be moved to 15th fret so that the adjustment length is in the bendiest part of the neck. That is, unless the adjuster at 22nd is super long and reaches out to a rod that acts over the normal stretch anyway.

Who made an inlaid cover for one of these recently? I'm wanting to say @Andyjr1515 however I'm pretty certain I'm wrong. That sort of craftiness would be right up Andy's street though!

hehe, it's funny, when I posted the twang master online I got a lot of feedback and one of the repeating comments was that the access hole confused people... they didn't like it being in between inlays.  on an ebony neck... you wouldn't even notice it... but lighter wood makes it stick out... that thought stuck with me altho it doesn't necc mean they are right.  

the placement here (despite a few dif scale lengths) is really arbitrary, just where I put it for looks without much thought to how long the rod I use will be and where it HAS to go.  In fact I've pondered that placement because it would require me to buy custom length truss rods even on the 24.625 scale... and not sure it'd be good or bad.

that said, one of the things I'd love some input on, is the difference that embedding the truss rod in the heel can make.  on the one hand... in many gibson guitars it is really comparatively deep.  I suppose with that you risk the dreaded body hump that gibson is infamous for.  On the other... it makes the truss rod work different, and not really in a bad way.  If the truss was too far out of the heel... you end up potentially needing a lot more fall away.  Too far in the heel and it becomes less effective in the sense that the heel end can't bend up.  Looking at the path of string vibration i don't know that this is entirely undesirable.  In the music man style, with the truss rod wheel at the end of the entire neck... you would think that would be problematic.  there is 3" of adjustment length that is embedded in 3/4" heel.  "let me be clear" - I'm not saying "I know"... just throwing things in my head out here as points that might be worth some debate.

The adjuster I use is 3/4" long.  My guess suggests ideal placement would be around the 20th fret so that the rod starts while still "in" the heel for 1-2".

Supposedly the binding adds quite some strength to the hornlets.

If a headstock veneer is going to be used, laminating a cross grained veneer in between would also add strength. Further, if you're going to do the binding, you could even use several veneers criss-crossing under the actual surface. In that case the quality of the wood wouldn't play a major role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Supposedly the binding adds quite some strength to the hornlets.

If a headstock veneer is going to be used, laminating a cross grained veneer in between would also add strength. Further, if you're going to do the binding, you could even use several veneers criss-crossing under the actual surface. In that case the quality of the wood wouldn't play a major role.

that's a good idea (adding additional veneer at opposing direction).  going to have one direction for the base wood, one direction for the 1/16-1/8" overlay, and yet another direction in a layer of veneer - should be pretty darn strong.

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Not if you are talking an in-the-fretboard access.  I've done inlay on the trussrod cover in the past but that's probably not very crafty ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Then that is the one you should pursue.

Simple enough.

SR

well thank you very much for reply and also telling me what i want to hear (hehe).  recently had to troubleshoot and find 3 of 4 sticks of ram had issues... but hoping to get back on this design asap... I hope you'll chime in regarding my revisions when I get there if you have time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

3 of 4 sticks of ram had issues

Huh??? It's been a long time since I've last seen ram issues other than poor seating caused by dust or vibration

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Huh??? It's been a long time since I've last seen ram issues other than poor seating caused by dust or vibration

yeah, ram is pretty indestructible in most cases.  I think there may have been problems with this set early on, but perhaps I just didn't add 2 and 2.  Had some early build blue screens that I chalked up to my overclock settings.  I never even memory tested it after building as it just never occurred to me.  I only had a 5% overclock going but my system rarely reaches over 40c while idle and have checked while gaming and have not seen it go over 70c.  that said this processor is known for running hot, and I was running an all fan system... so you can get pretty quick hot spikes.  further the fan I had was a be quiet dark rock and the radiator was sitting right on top of the ram.  have since pulled the cpu cooler and replaced with liquid cooling - louder, but is much more stable at the least and 10c cooler at idle.  I'm thinking it was problematic ram from the get go and the hot spike just made a solder channel give out. 

running better than it ever has on 16gigs right now.  fortunately g.skill has a lifetime warranty so I'm not out 5 bills... just have to rma it in.

• 3 weeks later...

well... for the record... if you ever buy ram... I can highly recommend g.skill.  the original ram may or may not have had issues but either way I only paid for the shipping back to them and three days later I got 4 new sticks that tested perfect.  that reminds me... need to send an email thanks to those guys.

have been busy re-building my system as I was convinced at one point the issue was a failing hard drive... and anyways it's good to do a rebuild once in a while.  Pretty much back up to full speed now. 

Cut a new birdseye fretboard last night courtesy of kimball.  Pretty decent looking 4A stuff. 

Ran into an odd cnc issue... had some troubles early on with cutting fret slots on the radius.  just went flat with them.  decided to give it another shot... after running one slot for some reason the code decided to bury my fret slot bit at each end.  after racking my brain I think I figured out that when you have something follow the 3d path... and you have a fret slot that goes beyond where the 3d path ends... well that's what happens.  far enough outside that it won't matter, and was surprised i didn't even loose a fret slot bit.  so... onward and upward... to slot some frets tonight!!

hoping to get back and give the favorite designs some attention soon too.  thanks again all for the thoughtful replies!!