How do you draw/print full size plans

I'm soon gonna be starting a guitar, and I've heard many of you say that I need to draw it out in CAD to work out neck angle, and other flaws before I start building. I also wanna draw the right body style/headstock shape and print it 1:1. What program(s) do I need, how much do they cost, and how do I go about doing what I need to do? Thanks,

Devon

I agree with Danno. I use 18 x 24" (1" squares, 4 to an Inch) Grid Paper under 18 x 24" draftsmans vellum. That, along with my trusty scale ruler, T-Square, Traingle, circle templates, ect, ect, and my drawing board. I learned basic mechanical drafting in high school, crica 1980, so besides being a cranky old foul dude, I don't have the temperment, or time, to learn a computer program. Also, I like being able to use actual REAL guitar parts (mounting rings, bridge plates, ect.) as templates on my drawings. This allows me to be sure things are where they are suppossed to be and how I want them to look. Another plus is, I can cut out any body or headstock shape , and tape it to a REAL guitar and get a sense for playablity and astetics. Oh, and you can take a REAL body, lay it right on your paper (coping neck pockets, center point ofo intonation, any routings, ect.) and simply make changes to an already proved and working guitar model, rather than try to re-invent the wheel. All items you need are available at any good art supply house, or even your local Staples has a "drafting supplies" isle. Hope this helps. Jimmy K. :D

Pencil and paper. Sure you have to measure and mark carefully, but they have made guitars a lot longer than personal computers.

Righto!

I have actually started drawing bodies right onto the 1/4" MDF I use as the routing and tracing templates. I tend to figure out neck angle and stuff as I go along building.

I use a long ruler for the center line, then a pencil and a good white eraser for mistakes. it takes me while to draw up a body, because all my bodies have been somewhat original, or variations of designs, I have to spend alot of time looking at the drawing from different angles and in the mirror even.

Download a copy of TurboCAD Learning Edition, its free and very easy to learn if you have a basic drafting knowledge.

I did basic drafting back in 1975 at university , so I'm a crankier older guy than Rhoads-and Rhonson, but I find using a CAD to be much more efficient and accurate. I print out the bits I want, paste then onto my template material and then cut out the templates.

I still have all my drawing equipment which I find extremely useful. I suppose being able to use both methods is first prize but I guess it's what works for you that's the best method.

Keith

Thanks guys...I'll look into the TurboCAD thing, but I don't exactly wanna have to learn how to use a program on the computer to build my first guitar, so I think I'll just start drawing out the plans now. I was lookiing in the Melvyn Hiscock book last night, and he draws pretty much everything out full scale, so that's probably the route I'll take.

Lex, How do you make a template like you're talking about? Is it MDF the shape of the body (so you can trace onto the wood), with the pickup/neck cavities in it for routing templates? Thanks again you guys.

Devon

Devon, Vellum is a type of special paper used by draftsmen. It is semi-transparent, but pretty tough, and stands up well to multiple erasures (sp?). You will find it in the drafting supply section. Jimmy K :D

I think my mom used to use that stuff for drawing paintings to scale. Does it have grid on it, or is it just clear and you look at the grid underneath? I drew my plans 1:4 last night and today. Gotta smooth some curves a little more on the full size one. Is it possible to use regular 1/4" square grid paper just taped up to the size you need? I can't make it out of the house for a few days with this snow, and I'd like to get something done. Thanks,

Devon

Right Devon, the vellum is plain and actually somewhat clear, BUT you have to supply the grid paper underneath. I use 1/4" block grid paper supplied in 18 x 24" sheets taped down to the surface of my drawing board, then I over lay the clrea vellum on top of that. In a pinch, you can carefully tape together multiple smaller sheets to make one large grid if you have to. Just be real careful ALL your line are true, as any descrepancy with manifest itself on the dimensions of your finished drawing,... and ultimately be transferred to your finished project as well. Hope this helps, Good Luck. Jimmy K. :D