Electronics Design, Mag, Piezo and Dual Mono TRS

GarrettS

My guitar design is coming along well. The physical model is really shaping up! We next need to calculate center of mass and, for that, need to know the electronics configuration. I'm in over my head and need help, either free or paid. Suggestions and offers welcome.

I need help planning the electronics scheme for this:
H H + piezo
3-way mag selector
3-way selector for mag, mag+piezo, piezo
Output jack w 2-way switch (TRS stereo, mono)
Internal knobs, inside the cavity, for piezos; bass, treble, and volume
Battery for the piezos
Sophia Tremolo 2:92 Pro [with GT Pro] 

Nice to hear news about your project, it's been under progress for quite some while now!

Unfortunately I can't help you with the electrickery, I just want you to know that you're being followed. 👍

Hello,

well... I barely want to do the work I need to do for me, let alone someone else!!  so afraid I can't offer you much there other than... at some point I'm going to "get back to" a bass I'm doing that will have similar functionality ie magnetic and piezo... both with treb/bass preamps of my own layouts/design, possibly some sort of 3-way mag/both/piezo selector... and I will certainly post a layout of my plans for that when I get there.  Maybe that will be of help.

that said... you might find info and/or someone you can hire to help you over at freestompboxes.org.

it is unclear if you are considering to use the fishman system (or diy), as if so (awfully spendy) there are diagrams on their site that can help with such assemblies.  That's a fairly ambitious harness for someone w/o much elec experience - but what one man can do... another can do.  

hope something there helps.

50 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

it is unclear if you are considering to use the fishman system (or diy), as if so (awfully spendy) there are diagrams on their site that can help with such assemblies.  That's a fairly ambitious harness for someone w/o much elec experience - but what one man can do... another can do.  

I want, inside the chamber:

mic.

blend knob for mic / piezo

blend knob for that system (mic + piezo) / magnetic

The guy from LR Baggs told me the anthem system wouldn't work like I want with mag pickups. He said there would be impedance issues causing popping and dropout switching between mag/piezo.

So, if it's not possible, I just won't use the mic in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarrettS said:

I want, inside the chamber:

mic.

blend knob for mic / piezo

blend knob for that system (mic + piezo) / magnetic

The guy from LR Baggs told me the anthem system wouldn't work like I want with mag pickups. He said there would be impedance issues causing popping and dropout switching between mag/piezo.

So, if it's not possible, I just won't use the mic in there.

well there are impotence (that's just what I call it, roll w it hehe) problems potentially between ANY magnetic mixed with piezo OR mic.  The popping can probably be overcome via some trial/error/pulldown-resistors, but even then, the piezo by itself would be fine, and the magnetic by itself too... but combine them and one will overpower the other.  blending is not going to work w/o a preamplified signal.  my plan to overcome that is to put a preamp after each source in my setup.  I want to be able to get back to stock magnetics... so I'll have a tru byp push pull on that, might as well do the sm for piezo and be able to run it sans preamp.  

with that in mind I think what you want to do is possible, but I think there's going to be an awful lot of electronics going on in there.  1 pre per source so 3 preamps, 3 batteries.  you could try to make a bigger preamp that can work for all 3... but that's makes it a pretty complicated preamp, only lowers the part count marginally... and if something should go wrong the whole system goes down.  that said, i'm sure someone out there could make it work.  

• Like 1