Can anyone explain Gretsch pots?

Bizman62

I just visited my brother-in-law who had bought a Gretsch, looks a lot like a G2622 Streamliner™ Center Block Double-Cut with V-Stoptail but it has chrome knobs on pots. He had got it for steal as both he and the vendor had thought there was something wrong with the pickups. I tried it and there was no hum or anything like that, it just sounded different. LOTS of boomy bass!

The pots puzzled me. I have never studied how a Gretsh work so I just tested to try to figure out what they do. Well... I found out that around the F-hole one was the volume for the bridge pickup and another the vol for the neck pu. The third one seems to be a linear volume for both as it works sort of like an on-off switch.

On the horn there's a logarithmic volume pot, again for both pickups. This one seems to smoothly change the volume.

So four volumes but no tone??? Can anyone explain the logic behind that?

Also, as I previously said, the sound is very bass dominant. I wonder if that's a bug or a feature. It works well for palm muting bass lines in the style of Scotty Moore but if that's intentional it seems like a one trick pony.

Gretsch Streamliner product page says the three controls by the F-hole should be one master tone and an independent volume for each of the pickups, and a master volume near one of the cutaways. Indeed, the product manual is written very generically, covering multiple different models, so perhaps the 3+1 control arrangement is just their 'thing'?

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

both he and the vendor had thought there was something wrong with the pickups

the sound is very bass dominant. I wonder if that's a bug or a feature

Sounds to me like a faulty tone control. I'd certainly be focusing any attention on that area first.

10 hours ago, curtisa said:

Sounds to me like a faulty tone control.

Thanks! I saw the product page but couldn't find that information - maybe the 8 hours ride from a friend's funeral had affected my eyesight.

So, the "on-off" pot that acts like a secondary master volume is actually a tone. I'll tell my inlaw.