Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

On 4/20/2022 at 10:52 PM, ZekeB said:

That's a lot of whittling :)  Looks great so far.  Love the organic flow of the base

Thanks Zeke, good to hear from you again. And yeah there's been a lot of wood removal so far. I've swept up over 15 gallons of chips, and will create many more in the months to come.

SR

And I made a bunch this weekend. I thought my comments were going to begin with ....only subtle changes. But I think most astute observers will see what went on.....and off.I didn't think I'd get very far as the ass end grain of bubinga is hard as hell. When you get out of that though ash is down right pleasant.

DSC04013.JPGDSC04017.JPGDSC04018.JPGDSC04019.JPGDSC04020.JPG

SR

• Like 4

I thought I saw something at an earlier stage but now those details don't look like I thought... It's like seeing figures on knotty boards - looking at one spot you see a man, look at his chin and it's a dog, move your head ever so slightly and it's a witch flying on her broom,,,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been crazy busy this year and haven't had much chance to hang out around here. I do still carve on the weekends to refresh and recharge. Something I learned in fact this past couple of weeks, as opposed to in principal is functional binocular vision is a huge asset when creating in three dimensions. My left eye decided to tear and detach its retina about ten days ago. I had almost immediate surgery and a gas bubble and my vision is coming back pretty much on schedule. But the gas bubble means I have two weeks of looking through a fish bowl in my left eye. The water level goes down daily and I can see over the water line....but it's full of reflections and refractions.  the bubble should dissipate in another 4 or 5 days. I've carving on this thing in the mean time.....I hope I don't discover strangeness when my vision comes all the way back.

I'm going to have to set up some hard side lighting for future pics. It's hard to tell what you are looking  at here.

DSC04035.JPGDSC04036.JPGDSC04037.JPGDSC04038.JPGDSC04039.JPG

SR

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Yepp, what I first thought I saw isn't there any longer. Am I seeing a role model in the background, time will tell!

Time will tell.

On of the fun things about carving something from wood, is you can tell everyone you are carving a tree...or several in this case, and it will always be true, no matter what shape is left after all the chips have been removed.

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Time will tell.

On of the fun things about carving something from wood, is you can tell everyone you are carving a tree

Well, I'm pretty sure by now that the round thing down there isn't a human head between the legs of a mid size feline. Humans sinking in lava may also be too far fetched a guess.

30 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Well, I'm pretty sure by now that the round thing down there isn't a human head between the legs of a mid size feline. Humans sinking in lava may also be too far fetched a guess.

You're probably right.

It does have a kind of ball and claw thing going on though, I see the feline reference.

SR

• Like 1

Oh wow! Usually it requires quite a lot of poking and sketching to make others see the non-existing things you do. Are you sure you aren't my big brother? Dad used to date an American girl before he met my mom...

On 5/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Bizman62 said:

Oh wow! Usually it requires quite a lot of poking and sketching to make others see the non-existing things you do. Are you sure you aren't my big brother? Dad used to date an American girl before he met my mom...

:killinme

SR

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Backlit seems to be the best choice for separating the curves and contours from the swirly streaks in the ash layers. does make it a bit dark though.

DSC04074.JPG

SR

this shot here is my fav.  really nice!

• Like 1

It's getting there. When it does I'll have to flip it over and do the top half. And then attach the burl top and finish the whole thing. I was hoping to get a guitar build in the back half of 2022. Now I'm wondering if 2023 is even a possibility.:blink:

SR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

It's getting there. When it does I'll have to flip it over and do the top half. And then attach the burl top and finish the whole thing. I was hoping to get a guitar build in the back half of 2022. Now I'm wondering if 2023 is even a possibility.:blink:

SR

i hear ya there... I had so many ideas of what I would accomplish by this point today... and feels like I'm running in slow motion... but gotta remember to sniff the roses!  Just be thankful how good it's turning out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...