Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

Summertime.

It feels like a long time no howdy. There's been the usual summertime stuff going on....travels, house guests, kids, grandkids, beach trips, brewery trips, backyard cookouts and so on. Life goes on and projects.....maybe not as much.

These pics represent 8 or 9 days of carving. Some changes are distinct and some are subtle.

DSC04080.JPGDSC04081.JPGDSC04083.JPGDSC04085.JPGDSC04086.JPGDSC04087.JPG

SR

No longer do I see humans squashed... But I saw a turtle having slept so long that a tree has grown on the shell and now that the poor animal has finally woken up his limbs and neck stick out between the roots.

14 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

No longer do I see humans squashed... But I saw a turtle having slept so long that a tree has grown on the shell and now that the poor animal has finally woken up his limbs and neck stick out between the roots.

:D

Did he find Rip Van Winkle in there somewhere too?

SR

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, mistermikev said:

comring right along... nice work as always.

what does it say about me... that from that angle it looks like a nuclear mushroom cloud?  wait don't answer that.  off to see the therapist lol!

I actually see that too, from the low angle shots. The spiral adds to the illusion.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got done roughing in the roots and moved on to the branches. This is intimidating, because while the roots are and anchor to the earth, the branches live in negative space and sort of grab the sky......which has no handles. I'm slowly moving around trunk and slowly removing chips from places I'm sure don't exist in this image. I've decided carving is illustrating in 3D using a fairly specialized media. I'm trying to figure out how to remove wood from around a branch in space without removing wood that might belong to a branch I haven't uncovered yet....

DSC04104.JPGDSC04106.JPGDSC04107.JPGDSC04108.JPGDSC04109.JPGDSC04110.JPG

SR

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

Do trees look the same right side up as they do up side down?

That's a valid question! Some trees have a long straight main root - pine roots look like spruces upside down! - while some like spruces spread on the surface, That may seem odd since they're both local conifers. Having said that, our two local main birches are similarly different, the downy birch has roots on the surface while the silver birch anchors itself deep. Yet they all can live in the same forest!

crazy to look at that origin and think about how many individual cuts it has taken to get to where it is.  

also... find myself wondering... what is significance of "II T"... hmm and interesting riddle.  perhaps you are a big fan of "the facts of life"?  a reference to terminator 2?  the possibilities are endless...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

crazy to look at that origin and think about how many individual cuts it has taken to get to where it is.  

The piles of chips I've swept up are way bigger than the chunks of wood they started from. I suppose one could say I took one big wood chip and  subdivided it into many smaller chips.....

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

also... find myself wondering... what is significance of "II T"...

I have no flippin' clue! I honestly don't even see it when I'm working on it. But then I see it in the pictures and wonder where the hell did that come from? I presume that ash board was once on a pallet of similar ash boards, and had something stenciled on the stack. So those might not even be complete letters. And later there will be wood chips with parts of that stenciled on them.

Or maybe that board moonlighted as a giant scrabble tile in its past.

SR

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ScottR said:

The piles of chips I've swept up are way bigger than the chunks of wood they started from. I suppose one could say I took one big wood chip and  subdivided it into many smaller chips.....

I have no flippin' clue! I honestly don't even see it when I'm working on it. But then I see it in the pictures and wonder where the hell did that come from? I presume that ash board was once on a pallet of similar ash boards, and had something stenciled on the stack. So those might not even be complete letters. And later there will be wood chips with parts of that stenciled on them.

Or maybe that board moonlighted as a giant scrabble tile in its past.

SR

"tooty" seems much more plausible lol!  that board belonged to the infamous tooty!

kim-fields-dorothy-tootie.jpg?1627162480

• Haha 1

Got a text from my youngest brother the other night: What was the name of that lake we hiked to? (actually 3 texts in a row of the same question--I think there was beer involved.)

The lake was Timber lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. He was 16 and I was 22 and we had spent the last 10 days camping and fishing mountain streams in Colorado. Including one spectacular stream where we climbed down into a canyon and fished below numerous waterfalls and caught trout on every other cast. I suppose not too many fishermen showed the dedication to reach those pools.

We hiked 5 miles and climbed 3000 feet to reach Timber lake at just over 11,000 in elevation. And the fish were not biting. The ridge of mountains behind the lake was the continental divide, and blue jays were dashing in and stealing bits of our lunch. We could visualize a path up the ridge and decided to give it a go. It really was a relatively easy climb....except for details like no oxygen and false peaks. We never heard of false peaks before and I'm pretty sure we counted 22 before we got to the top. The top was over 13,000 ft and under 14,000ft and off one side everything ran to the Atlantic ocean and the other side flowed to the Pacific. Naturally we peed in both bodies of water.

Coming down we sang old Roger Miller songs (Dang Me and You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd figured prominently). We made up a crazy story and got caught in the dark about half way down. We are pretty sure we heard African lions and Indian tigers in the dark forest still several miles from camp. We cooked a steak, drank Yukon Jack and rehashed the day. In the morning, we decided there was nothing we could do to beat that, so we packed up and went home.

My brother's text came over 40 years later. Now it occurs to me how lucky (awesome) we were to create an event that we still remember  vividly 40 years later. Who does that? I can count on one finger all the other events that occurred when I was 22.

Those were the thought going through my head whilst cutting out chips one at a time this weekend.

DSC04123.JPGDSC04124.JPGDSC04126.JPGDSC04127.JPGDSC04128.JPGDSC04129.JPGDSC04130.JPGM

My license plate is showing. I know I've blurred it mostly, but have missed enough pics that it's a bit like Miley Cyrus saying: Oh are my tits out?

There's no real point to covering them up anymore.

SR

• Like 3

I've noticed that license plate in a couple posts. Don't worry, I won't steal your identity! Then again, some say that I've got a broad Southern accent so some poor soul over there might even believe I was you making a long distance call to ask for a change of ownership for those cars to some bloke near the Russian border.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:43 PM, ScottR said:

Got a text from my youngest brother the other night: What was the name of that lake we hiked to? (actually 3 texts in a row of the same question--I think there was beer involved.)

The lake was Timber lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. He was 16 and I was 22 and we had spent the last 10 days camping and fishing mountain streams in Colorado. Including one spectacular stream where we climbed down into a canyon and fished below numerous waterfalls and caught trout on every other cast. I suppose not too many fishermen showed the dedication to reach those pools.

We hiked 5 miles and climbed 3000 feet to reach Timber lake at just over 11,000 in elevation. And the fish were not biting. The ridge of mountains behind the lake was the continental divide, and blue jays were dashing in and stealing bits of our lunch. We could visualize a path up the ridge and decided to give it a go. It really was a relatively easy climb....except for details like no oxygen and false peaks. We never heard of false peaks before and I'm pretty sure we counted 22 before we got to the top. The top was over 13,000 ft and under 14,000ft and off one side everything ran to the Atlantic ocean and the other side flowed to the Pacific. Naturally we peed in both bodies of water.

Coming down we sang old Roger Miller songs (Dang Me and You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd figured prominently). We made up a crazy story and got caught in the dark about half way down. We are pretty sure we heard African lions and Indian tigers in the dark forest still several miles from camp. We cooked a steak, drank Yukon Jack and rehashed the day. In the morning, we decided there was nothing we could do to beat that, so we packed up and went home.

My brother's text came over 40 years later. Now it occurs to me how lucky (awesome) we were to create an event that we still remember  vividly 40 years later. Who does that? I can count on one finger all the other events that occurred when I was 22.

Those were the thought going through my head whilst cutting out chips one at a time this weekend.

DSC04123.JPGDSC04124.JPGDSC04126.JPGDSC04127.JPGDSC04128.JPGDSC04129.JPGDSC04130.JPGM

My license plate is showing. I know I've blurred it mostly, but have missed enough pics that it's a bit like Miley Cyrus saying: Oh are my tits out?

There's no real point to covering them up anymore.

SR

nice... first few nibbles... you are just building the anticipation over there!

• Like 1