Burl Table for the Wife

ScottR

Excavating in the sky....

DSC04131.JPGDSC04132.JPGDSC04134.JPGDSC04135.JPGDSC04136.JPGDSC04141.JPG

This feels quite strange to me. Carving the roots feels right because they have a base, they are literally grounded in the ground. Carving branches  is similar, shape wise, but they are not grounded at all. They end up in the sky...which is rather open ended. Where do they stop?

SR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you have been married just long enough.

Last night I came in from the back porch where I pretty much spend all my evenings, and said good night to my wife as she rocked in her lounger, watching TV and eating what I assumed to be her dinner.  It was a bowl full of sliced cucumbers. I said night baby, are you planning on farting all night?

M y bride of thirty five years nailed the response.

With very wide eyes, a tiny curl on her lips, she asked in a little girl voice: " You want me to?"

It was perfect! I broke up, and said "Hell no!"

Thirty five years of farty nights was more than enough. It's awesome to be married to a woman with her sense of timing and delivery though!

Cheers!

-Scott

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

Branches are like roots with no rocks....less support.

I was going to say that that's the reason why they used to make benches to smoke saunas on a stem with the roots on top. But then I remembered that the stones were removed as they only support the roots when on and in the ground...

One reason for marrying my wife was that she's been commenting like that since the very first encounter. What's even more hilarious, it comes fully naturally - she tends to talk before thinking...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

This is seriously badass. Coming along nicely.

+1 on being married just long enough.

Thanks Scotty!

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

One reason for marrying my wife was that she's been commenting like that since the very first encounter. What's even more hilarious, it comes fully naturally - she tends to talk before thinking...

Yeah, a good sense of humor is seriously attractive!

SR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, ScottR said:

Sometimes you have been married just long enough.

Last night I came in from the back porch where I pretty much spend all my evenings, and said good night to my wife as she rocked in her lounger, watching TV and eating what I assumed to be her dinner.  It was a bowl full of sliced cucumbers. I said night baby, are you planning on farting all night?

M y bride of thirty five years nailed the response.

With very wide eyes, a tiny curl on her lips, she asked in a little girl voice: " You want me to?"

It was perfect! I broke up, and said "Hell no!"

Thirty five years of farty nights was more than enough. It's awesome to be married to a woman with her since of timing and delivery though!

Cheers!

-Scott

hehe... you don't make it to 35 years without some farts lol.  Have only made it (carry the one) 27 here but in that time I've realized that there is always going to be one of two that will want more sex, one of two who will do all the cleaning, one of two who will spend all the money, one of two who is responsible and does the bookkeeping... and if you are lucky you get to see that flipped back and forth between the two.  that said, I have pretty consistently been the farter, but lately our dog has been giving me a hellofa run for my money.  haha!  

I hope you won't mind that I share your story w my wife lolz.

also... table is coming along right nicely.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mistermikev said:

hehe... you don't make it to 35 years without some farts lol.  Have only made it (carry the one) 27 here but in that time I've realized that there is always going to be one of two that will want more sex, one of two who will do all the cleaning, one of two who will spend all the money, one of two who is responsible and does the bookkeeping... and if you are lucky you get to see that flipped back and forth between the two.  that said, I have pretty consistently been the farter, but lately our dog has been giving me a hellofa run for my money.  haha!  

I hope you won't mind that I share your story w my wife lolz.

also... table is coming along right nicely.  

Dogs can be deadly, but in a relatively small space. You can hold your breath and walk out of them.

And, not  at all. Anytime you can make your wife smile is money in the bank.

And, thanks!

SR

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Dogs can be deadly, but in a relatively small space. You can hold your breath and walk out of them.

And, not  at all. Anytime you can make your wife smile is money in the bank.

And, thanks!

SR

yes, our dog is just a rat terrier... but she gets those duck treats in her and lookout.  my wife did laugh hehe.

btw I hope on this project... maybe this is the one you will leave it all "bumpy"?  I know, I know... it'll look cool smoothed out too... but it looks really great and you can see a thousand chisel strikes right there in the piece.  

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

yes, our dog is just a rat terrier... but she gets those duck treats in her and lookout.  my wife did laugh hehe.

btw I hope on this project... maybe this is the one you will leave it all "bumpy"?  I know, I know... it'll look cool smoothed out too... but it looks really great and you can see a thousand chisel strikes right there in the piece.  

That is an option I'm considering. The jury is still out. I did another carving in the past that featured wood and rocks, and I smoothed the rocks and left the wood rough carved, and that was cool too. Rough carving leaves a bunch of places that are chipped, torn, splintered and raw fibers all over the place. Those create their own special joys in the finishing process.....so the jury is still out.

SR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottR said:

That is an option I'm considering. The jury is still out. I did another carving in the past that featured wood and rocks, and I smoothed the rocks and left the wood rough carved, and that was cool too. Rough carving leaves a bunch of places that are chipped, torn, splintered and raw fibers all over the place. Those create their own special joys in the finishing process.....so the jury is still out.

SR

"so yer sayin' there's a chance"...  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to feel like a stranger around here. I apologize for that--I'm just having the crazy busiest year in a couple of decades. I guess I know what Rad feels like.

And the more I build this thing the more I want to build another guitar.....before I forget how.

And it seems like a long time between updates. That's because I want pictures that actually show progress. I can see it and feel it with my hands and recognize it from the gallons of wood chips I've swept up, but it appears to be more subtle in the pics.

Anyway, here is the next installment.

DSC04174.JPGDSC04175.JPGDSC04176.JPGDSC04178.JPG

SR

Whoa! You've carved most of the top away! My wife wouldn't like such a table, she tends to put spread stuff on every horizontal surface. That table wouldn't fit the bill for her!

Thinking of that reminded me of an incident that happened almost three decades ago. I had just divorced and moved to an apartment and got most of my stuff in place. So I thought I had earned a sip of Cognac. I took a crystal snifter and poured some, sat in my easy chair and took a drink. Then I put the glass on the corner of the side table... No, I was going to put the glass on the corner of the table. Except that there was no corner there! I had bought me a triangular table for my tiny apartment! Crash went the snifter. I could find an almost similar one at the local jewelry store but the noble beverage got sucked into a rag instad of my innards. Just saying...

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Whoa! You've carved most of the top away! My wife wouldn't like such a table, she tends to put spread stuff on every horizontal surface. That table wouldn't fit the bill for her!

Thinking of that reminded me of an incident that happened almost three decades ago. I had just divorced and moved to an apartment and got most of my stuff in place. So I thought I had earned a sip of Cognac. I took a crystal snifter and poured some, sat in my easy chair and took a drink. Then I put the glass on the corner of the side table... No, I was going to put the glass on the corner of the table. Except that there was no corner there! I had bought me a triangular table for my tiny apartment! Crash went the snifter. I could find an almost similar one at the local jewelry store but the noble beverage got sucked into a rag instad of my innards. Just saying...

I suppose I have gotten past the halfway point of the top layer. And my wife is the same way. No horizontal surface shall go uncovered. But not to worry. What I'm carving is the pedestal for the table top. The opening post was made so long ago you may not remember, but the table top this pedestal is going to be supporting is a slab of live edge maple burl. The shape of it made me think of the shape of a tree's canopy......and this is where that thought led.

SR

5 hours ago, mistermikev said:

wow, the delicate branches... vcool.  are you doing some sort of glass top for this?  really emerging.  nice work.

Thanks.

No glass. this is getting a maple burl slab on top. The last couple of pics in my first post shows it. I realize that was the better part of a year ago....I'll do a mock up with it in the next photo dump to refresh memories and see if it is still going to look like what's in my head.

SR

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Thanks.

No glass. this is getting a maple burl slab on top. The last couple of pics in my first post shows it. I realize that was the better part of a year ago....I'll do a mock up with it in the next photo dump to refresh memories and see if it is still going to look like what's in my head.

SR

now that you mention it... I do recall something about that.  was just thinking it'd be cool to see those tree limbs from the top down but even cooler to have a sweet burl there.  looking fwd to seeing that.  again, nice job.

• Like 1

I finally got a Tormek and spent a fair amount of carving time sharpening gouges. Hopefully this will help them last longer. I replaced two more this week from sharpening them down to something less than ideal in length.

And I did take the time to pull the top out and take some mock up shots to remind you guys what the plan is and for me to compare to my mental plans and see if it is actually going the direction I intended.

DSC04188.JPGDSC04189.JPGDSC04190.JPGDSC04191.JPG

SR

• Like 2