How tolerant are these forums to completely backwards and non-traditional builds?

A pretty odd question, but TBH given what I'm building I am concerned that I'll piss a lot of people off, albeit completely unintentionally, so figured I better ask first.

I've played for quite a few years, and during this time I have repaired and restored a few cheapie LTDs etc, so my experience is of someone whos only ever touched budget gear and only plays in a garage with 4-5 people max, so absolutely not a pro or an expert. I just enjoy the process of trying to learn a new piece and an ocasionall jam in my garage.

Despite my very limited knowledge and experience I've always wanted to build a guitar from scratch, and a few months back when another (non-guitar related) project was completed, I decided to make a start. I'm keen to track my progress somewhere as it'll likely take me till at least the end of the year or perhaps even longer to get it all sorted, but I also know that what I'm doing may be considered as an absolute disgrace by professionals and experts.

I've had a browse through the project build area and everyone here seems like they've been doing this for a lifetime, so I initially abandoned posting here when I first checked this out a month ago, but since then I made a bit of progress on my build that I'm personally a bit proud of I thought I'd ask.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you

Welcome to the addiction!

I've been building guitars for about 7 years now, being on my 5½th build. That's not a lifetime... Before that my woodworking after school had been pretty minimal, the most used power tool was the chainsaw. For renovating our house I had bought a circular hand saw and a battery powered drill. Speaking about school, the only power tool we used was a pillar drill. Wooden planes and string tightened frame saws were the first tools we were taught to use...

There's no right or wrong in guitar building as long as the construction is solid. And even if the structural integrity of your build were questionable publishing it would both provide a learning experience to others and possibly return a bunch of ideas how to fix it. I've never seen anyone been disspirited here during the three years I've been here.

• Like 1

I think you'll find this to be one of the most encouraging forums you'll ever visit... I certainly have.  If you approach it with the humility you have in your post above, how could someone not want to encourage you? 

There are all sorts of skill levels/backgrounds around here and the majority of this forum truly enjoys helping and watching others.  

When I start thinking I know what I'm doing... the wood is there to humble me... and I am reminded that you can't spell success with out succ.  The forum is often there to re-light the fire!

• Like 1

@SentencedToBurn,

Sounds like you have been trolled before on social media and are shy from that.

Here, things are a little different. We don't judge so much or throw you under the bus unless you do something that is deadly to you or someone else. Then you may get chastized for your own safety.  LOL.

What you will get is good solid critique of your work as you progress, including where you can improve and how to get there. Sure once you have been around for a time there may be a jab or two in jest but that is because we are like a family and is usually because by that time you should know better.

So bring it on and let people help you get where you are going. Keep your thick skin to yourself though. ;) LOL!!!

Mike

Hey thanks everyone for the encouragement. TBH I haven't really been trolled that much before, and I'm probably too old to be that worried about the trolling aspect. My genuine worry is to get on the nerves of people who take pride in their craft (i.e. actual pros who do this work for a living) when I'm coming in with my munted ideas and lack of knowledge, etc. Like when I spent many years as a car painter, and someone tells you that they fixed up their bumper with a bit of a spray can and it's just as good, its like.. dude.. so this was mostly my concern coming into this.

Anyway, much thanks for the warm welcome, I have cleared out my schedule tonight and will post up my progress to this point.

Thanks again.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't been the most active lately as far as posting goes (been mostly reading build threads)... I literally come here for the odd builds :D

Thin body, odd materials, non standard shapes... I don't see the point of making a "Gibson Les Paul" 1:1 copy, since you can buy that off the shelf. The fun starts where off the shelf doesn't cut it for one :D

• Like 1

I understand the observation about the talent displayed by many of the members here, there are truly some incredibly inspired builds posted regularly on this forum! I'm fairly new to the guitar repair and construction process as well but look forward to posting some of my work as I move forward. 

Welcome aboard!

• Like 1