Trying to get both guitar and backing track to play in one set of headphones

Hi folks. all this input, output with cables has me confused. What made it worse was when I saw the words Emulated output on the back of my Blackstar amp. I still dont know what to plug in there, if anything.  What I'm trying to do is to hear my guitar and a song or backing track in my headphones. I have a Pocket Pod, but I didn't want to mess around and possibly fry my amp. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome!

Very simply put, an input is where you put sound into the amplifier. On my Blackstar Fly there's a guitar input and a line input - the latter is for mp3 players so you can play along or just listen to music. So basically it has the same in- and outputs as your Pocket Pod.

An output is for getting the sound out of the amplifier. They can be of different levels, starting from line level to headphone to speaker. Line level is for connections between your amp and a power amp or a recording device. Headphone output is for headphones and speaker output for an external speaker - the two latter usually bypass and mute the built-in speaker.

The emulated output is just as it says, an output. It's for headphones or line. The word "emulated" means that there's some electronic magic that makes the sound coming through sound like it comes from a bigger amp.

Basically, if you want to use headphones you don't actually need the Blackstar at all! Just plug in your backing track device to the Pod's cd/mp3 INput, plug your guitar into the Guitar In and your headphones into the Direct OUT/Phones jack.

But if you want to get all the Pod's effects to the Blackstar, then connect the Pod's Amp OUT to the Guitar IN on your Blackstar. You can then plug your phones into the Emulated OUTput if you want to stay silent.

Hope I could keep that simple enough!