Lapsteel build for a friend

Soo…another build! A friend of mine has asked me to build him a lapsteel. He played the carbon fibre build I did a year back and really liked it. As he’s fairly new to lapsteel I have done some research and decided on a 24 scale, with parallel strings. 

He has bought a few things for the build including 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/45369548-combo-palm-bender-roller-bridge-r-r-b-1?utm_campaign=INTL-GB-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

And some Warman FireBuckers. These are  firebird style pickups, with a blade design so should work nicely with the wide string spacing. That’s my thinking anyway. Also no pole pieces to worry about being misaligned!

I have a piece of oak that will work nicely for this build. So far I have slotted a piece of corian to use as the fingerboard. I’m filling the slots with some black mica powder and CA glue. The board will be recessed in to the wood. 

Anyway…this should be interesting! On a slightly different note, Lapsteel players don’t get enough love, there’s some serious musicians out there 😃

EA21F994-719D-4C6F-B236-F54E0FC63210.jpeg

• Like 2

corian... I knew it the minute I laid eyes on it.  I built solid surface coutertops for a year or two when I was younger.  is very interesting material because it's hard as a rock but if you heat it in an oven you can bend it all over the place.  have often thought of doing inlay with the stuff... but it comes in half inch sheets and you really don't see it thinner than that.  Not sure cutting it with a bandsaw would go over well... esp for the blade.  should make for a very interesting fretboard.  good to see you back at it sir.  cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mistermikev said:

corian... I knew it the minute I laid eyes on it.  I built solid surface coutertops for a year or two when I was younger.  is very interesting material because it's hard as a rock but if you heat it in an oven you can bend it all over the place.  have often thought of doing inlay with the stuff... but it comes in half inch sheets and you really don't see it thinner than that.  Not sure cutting it with a bandsaw would go over well... esp for the blade.  should make for a very interesting fretboard.  good to see you back at it sir.  cheers

It cut surprisingly easy, considering it’s hardness. It’s properties are interesting! One thing I have noticed with Corian is that it actually isn’t particularly stable. Whatever bends form in it don’t tend to spring back like they would with wood. I tried making a neck with it, it failed…even with a bit of carbon fibre behind it it warped. It’s a cool material but not really the best choice for anything structural in my opinion. It’s also rather heavy!

7 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

It cut surprisingly easy, considering it’s hardness. It’s properties are interesting! One thing I have noticed with Corian is that it actually isn’t particularly stable. Whatever bends form in it don’t tend to spring back like they would with wood. I tried making a neck with it, it failed…even with a bit of carbon fibre behind it it warped. It’s a cool material but not really the best choice for anything structural in my opinion. It’s also rather heavy!

well... as I recall they make special saw blades and special bits for it because the heat generated by a reg saw blade/bit can warm it enough that it will bend... and once it cools it is going to maintain that shape.  that said... those tools aren't really worth it to the casual user.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Interesting! I wonder if that was part of the issue Mike? Maybe I didn’t use the right tools. It’s weird because that neck was straight…and like a week/few days later it had a 0.25mm up bow in it.

well... maybe maybe not.  usually you'd notice that within an hour or two of cutting it... and it has to get pretty hot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The piece of oak needed jazzing up a little so I attempted to recreate a kind of figured timber look with some gold mica powder and epoxy. Had to manipulate it a little as it was drying to get the grain lines. Anyway, reasonably pleased with it! It does look rather ‘loud’ for want of a better word, so I might try putting a ‘burst’ on it with some spray paint. 

FADF3743-04E1-4250-8ED5-49400BA62350.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Had a rethink and came to the conclusion that the gold wood effect was a bit loud. I was also having a bit of a problem with the epoxy. So I have dialled it back a bit! Friend has a much loved dog, so decided to include him in the proceedings.

Changed the plan for the fingerboard too. Switched to the Padauk. 

The certano bridge and bender is looking rather snazzy. Good stuff. 

3C731560-AB2D-4013-8EBC-94ED3C824C21.jpeg

0AB05D4B-AA11-4E0E-A48F-A5FF6A22EE73.jpeg

3F914DF2-B1CF-46BD-BE77-77870D5FCC08.jpeg

3ABC0AE7-2017-4374-A297-8AD4FC5AE68F.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That looks great. And yeah, padauk is very.......orange!

SR

With me the problem is the more to do with the fact that it’s really messy to work with. Unless everything is really well sealed then it just bleeds out everywhere. Heavy too. I actually really like the look of it, but there are better options I think.  

3 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

With me the problem is the more to do with the fact that it’s really messy to work with. Unless everything is really well sealed then it just bleeds out everywhere. Heavy too. I actually really like the look of it, but there are better options I think.  

Exactly. I was being cryptic. It loves being orange and wants everything else to be orange as well. the furniture, carpets pets, and adjoining wood.:)

SR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

With me the problem is the more to do with the fact that it’s really messy to work with. Unless everything is really well sealed then it just bleeds out everywhere.

Tell me about it. I did that one guitar with padouk top, fingerboard and head plate. The body is ash and neck neck is maple. It was a bit tricky to prevent the light colored backside from getting stained when sanding the sides!

• Like 1