New build - The Verdict

Normally there wouldn’t be any difference because the base plate is of same size on normal and F-spaced pickups. Bobbins though are naturally wider on F-spaced ones. This guitar will have back mounted pickups so I want to make the openings just a hair larger than the bobbins. But I have to think this over again because I want the neck and bridge pockets to be same size. My previous back mount guitar has EMG’s so I didn’t have to think about this before. Not probably the biggest problem in the world right now.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:50 AM, henrim said:

F-spaced pickup needs an F-spaced hole.

Haha, it took me this long and approximately three readings to figure out that you weren't talking about F-holes! I was soooo confused until now.

31 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Haha, it took me this long and approximately three readings to figure out that you weren't talking about F-holes! I was soooo confused until now.

Sorry about that. Hipshot bridge has wide spacing (Fender, F-spaced) and I happened to have a DiMarzio Super distortion bridge pickup with that wider spacing. 

Both pockets are now cut to wider length (70mm) so there is plenty space for the pickups to move freely and maybe fit a cover. Neck pickup bobbins are about 1,5mm shorter than the bridge pickup bobbins so they have different margin to the pocket walls. Not much but quite possibly enough to be noticeable. It depends. Anyway the two pickups I had thought putting in to this build (PAF 36th Anniversary for the neck position) have different looking poles too, so I most likely make some sort of covers. Wood or metal. Machined aluminium or stainless steel sheet metal covers would be the most straight forward option for me but I'm tempted to make them of swamp ash. I guess I try ash first and if it doesn't work I go with metal. By "if it doesn't work" I mean more about the looks but the covers would be quite thin walled too so there is some figuring what would be the best way to build them. 

33 minutes ago, henrim said:

Sorry about that. Hipshot bridge has wide spacing (Fender, F-spaced) and I happened to have a DiMarzio Super distortion bridge pickup with that wider spacing.

No worries, I figured that out today. Just another example of the slang that isn't necessarily clear to newbies... That reminds me of the bottle of IPA on @nakedzen's bench. Some builders have an occasional beer bottle in their photos, some even are known for brewing, but in this case it was something entirely different.

Within our builder group we often seem to use terms in English as there's no accurate enough translation. Like "structural integrity" - both words can be translated but "rakenteellinen lujuus" seems to lack some elements so we talk about "strukturaalinen integriteetti" to include every aspect of the term.

I was going to route the back side pocket today but I could only trim the top side of the edge with a template bit. I can’t find any flush trim bits to route the rest from the back side. I need a clean edge to position the pocket properly. I know there is a flush trim bit or two in the house somewhere but can’t find one from the usual places.  Template bits I have to order but a flush trim bit is more likely to be available locally. If I can’t get one tomorrow I may have to find an other way to position the pocket. 

5F6044F3-ED72-4A7A-B300-C061FA8B820C.jpeg

Edited by henrim

Bound the fretboard with black ABS. And while I think it was technically sound the black-on-black thinking didn’t work as well as I thought it would. In my head I had this idea that even though both black, the two different materials would have been different enough to make an interesting pair. Kinda like matte and glossy black go well together in some places. But it didn’t work very well. The ABS binding blended too much in to the wood and it didn’t really look that good. Stripped the binding off and cut some birch ply strips. To keep them clean I applied danish oil to them before I glue them in place. Need to apply a few more coats and then decide whether I really want to use them. An other alternative is to make a new fretboard without bindings.