Contour Gauge Users?

spindlebox

So I thought about buying some radius gauges so I can check radius on my necks, but I also thought how cool it would be to duplicate/copy the radius of a neck I really liked.  I thought of a tool my Dad had when I was a kid, and I thought it would be perfect!!  This one on Amazon is like $20, and it's cool because you can take the radius and then LOCK it, I figured I could use it while I'm shaping a neck, or make my OWN radius gauges with them!!

Anybody else have any experience/ideas/suggestions along this line?  I can't be the only one that's ever thought of this! :) 

image.thumb.png.c0840e61bc2faf6cbef1e40c847464e3.png

8 hours ago, spindlebox said:

I can't be the only one that's ever thought of this!

No you aren't. They pop up in threads every once in a while when someone wonders how to copy the shape of their favourite neck. The plastic ones are most likely more gentle than the steel ones so even copying the neck profile of a high dollar guitar in a shop might be possible if the shopkeeper has a good day.

Making your own radius gauges is a good idea if you know the neck profile you're after. A simple one is a 3x3" square of mdf or plywood where you copy the neck profile of your choice at the 1st and 12th fret and maybe 5th and 15th as well.

The wide one is maybe a bit too narrow to copy the profile of a carved guitar top but potentially still useful for that kind of purposes.

• Like 1