Another singlecut build

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Fantastic work as always. I would love that fret slotting setup. ☹️

And a planer...😆

Thanks Carl, that machine has made my life better for sure, I never really use the thicknesser on it but the table saw and the planer have made a couple of jobs way faster so it's well worth the space it takes up. At some point I plan to get a flush cutter for the spindle moulder on it too so I can route bodies out much more quickly than I currently do. Funny though, that machine cost me £350 and the bit I need for routing is £300. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad bought a TR7 for £250 and the welder he needed to restore it for £300 😆

• Like 1

lovely stuff brother.  seeing that bandsaw work... like butta - I have bandsaw envy.  I have refused to change blades on mine because it finally does resaw and I know swapping out the blade would result in 3 hours of having to adjust everything to get back to being able to resaw and still waste 3/16" of material!  that said I only paid $130 so... it def does a $130 job!!

• 1 month later...

Wowzer, check out those shop tools! I hadn't seen the bandsaw, table saw, or surface planer before.

It's nice to see someone else with the Trend T11EK as well. I had one as a hand-down from my dad about ten years ago, which made life so much easier. I actually re-bought it at £350 when COVID hit, because the original was down in Gloucestershire and I couldn't get to it. I don't know what your router table set-up is like, but the Trend aluminium router table insert (with a hole for the depth adjustment) is amazing. They also sell a quick release kit, so you can mount/dismount the router in a couple of seconds if it's your workhorse. Amazing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu. said:

Wowzer, check out those shop tools! I hadn't seen the bandsaw, table saw, or surface planer before.

It's nice to see someone else with the Trend T11EK as well. I had one as a hand-down from my dad about ten years ago, which made life so much easier. I actually re-bought it at £350 when COVID hit, because the original was down in Gloucestershire and I couldn't get to it. I don't know what your router table set-up is like, but the Trend aluminium router table insert (with a hole for the depth adjustment) is amazing. They also sell a quick release kit, so you can mount/dismount the router in a couple of seconds if it's your workhorse. Amazing

Thank you mate, those items are newish, the tablesaw/planer is a Kitty Bestcombi 2000 I got in May 2020 along with some hand tools from a workshop clearance and it had been sat in my dad's garage until I got this workshop finished.

I upgraded the bandsaw from the old Axminster hobby saw in late 2021. The hobby saw didn't owe me anything, got 15 builds out of it and sold it on market place for nearly what I paid for it. But the Laguna is something else, ideal for resawing tops so I don't think it will take long to pay for itself.

I actually wish I bought the other version of the Trend because I've only really used it as a plunge router, I do have a makeshift router table made out of my workmate with an insert for my makita trimmer which works well for fretboards, binding channels etc. The Bestcombi also includes a spindlemoulder, and at some point I'll get a follower bit for it so I can route guitar bodies out that way instead of making multiple passes with the trend. But That being said, I shaped the body for this one at the weekend and I just shaped it with the Triton bobbin sander because this bit of mahogany is quite teary.

35 minutes ago, Stu. said:

The top looks stunning - it's got to be worth the blisters, right? Also, what's the veneer between top and body?

thank you mate, that is a roll of bog oak veneer that I got off ebay - I like that pin stripe look but it's also functional, if I spray a shader on the mahogany and want a crisp looking natural binding edge then I don't have to spend hours scraping it clean, I just tape up to the middle of the veneer 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

thank you mate, that is a roll of bog oak veneer that I got off ebay - I like that pin stripe look but it's also functional, if I spray a shader on the mahogany and want a crisp looking natural binding edge then I don't have to spend hours scraping it clean, I just tape up to the middle of the veneer 

It gives really nice, sharp separation between the maple and mahogany, which can sometimes blur into each other. I can imagine it'll make faux binding look more intentional too!

5 minutes ago, Stu. said:

It gives really nice, sharp separation between the maple and mahogany, which can sometimes blur into each other. I can imagine it'll make faux binding look more intentional too!

I've had the blur you talk about in the past. I now glue my tops and backs together slightly oversized which prevents that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so couple observations... #1 - love the kill button.  you somehow have a momentary push pull?  what part are you using there?  love it.  buckethead would be proud.

#2 can't help but notice, and forgive me for pointing out, that there is an awful lot of noise going on there in the background?  tone sounds good and playing is very nice, just couldn't help but notice.  

#3 Guitar looks amazing, that finish is my fav so far.  Just a 10 - nice work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

so couple observations... #1 - love the kill button.  you somehow have a momentary push pull?  what part are you using there?  love it.  buckethead would be proud.

#2 can't help but notice, and forgive me for pointing out, that there is an awful lot of noise going on there in the background?  tone sounds good and playing is very nice, just couldn't help but notice.  

#3 Guitar looks amazing, that finish is my fav so far.  Just a 10 - nice work.  

1). Firstly, thank you for noticing that it has a kill switch rather than noticing the demonstrator is clearly unqualified to show it off! secondly, it's not a push pull it's just a 500k with a momentary on the top of it, it's really cool. Here's a link to it. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/shadow_sh124500_kill_pot.htm?glp=1

If you want to try one, they have quite a thin shaft, I had to drill a hole only about 6.5mm for it, if you have regular holes already drilled for your pots then you might need to find bigger washers, also they're course nurled so you need alpha fitment knobs to go on them!

2). No that's fair cop, the amp is being turned down by about 90% with a cheap attenuator in the fx loop so it's humming like a stadium stack while outputting as much noise as a church mouse (it was 10pm when I recorded that and didn't want to makes the neighbours sad).

3). Thank you Mike, really appreciate it and I am very happy with how it turned out, and I've already had another order from the USA for the SAME GUITAR off the back of it, next one is going to North Carolina. Super happy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

1). Firstly, thank you for noticing that it has a kill switch rather than noticing the demonstrator is clearly unqualified to show it off! secondly, it's not a push pull it's just a 500k with a momentary on the top of it, it's really cool. Here's a link to it. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/shadow_sh124500_kill_pot.htm?glp=1

If you want to try one, they have quite a thin shaft, I had to drill a hole only about 6.5mm for it, if you have regular holes already drilled for your pots then you might need to find bigger washers, also they're course nurled so you need alpha fitment knobs to go on them!

2). No that's fair cop, the amp is being turned down by about 90% with a cheap attenuator in the fx loop so it's humming like a stadium stack while outputting as much noise as a church mouse (it was 10pm when I recorded that and didn't want to makes the neighbours sad).

3). Thank you Mike, really appreciate it and I am very happy with how it turned out, and I've already had another order from the USA for the SAME GUITAR off the back of it, next one is going to North Carolina. Super happy!

my bad - push/push is prob more accurate... have never seen a momentary like that.  pretty cool - I appreciate the link.  

2) sorry for bringing it up!  It just didn't seem normal for your recordings.  neighbors/kids - got it!

3) congrats on your popularity!

• Like 1

Really love that purple! Interested in what your process (incl. which dyes/colours used) to get that result. Is there some visual tomfoolery going on? At some angles looks like it has a thin black burst border.

Nice work mate

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAK said:

Really love that purple! Interested in what your process (incl. which dyes/colours used) to get that result. Is there some visual tomfoolery going on? At some angles looks like it has a thin black burst border.

Nice work mate

when I get round to editing, there will be a 30 min video on the finish!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...