Router Questions and Advice

spindlebox

So I have the Triton MOF001 and it's a pretty fantastic machine, except for a couple things.  Firstly, the dust collection port is excessively difficult to use, and a few adaptors I've bought have underperformed miserably.  I think I'm on the right track by getting the blue tipped collar type (pictured on this thread) for the dust port, and I am optimistic about it, as it is supposed to be slightly flexible.  The problem is with the port: there is nothing for a connector to grab onto, and everything slides out easily.  I've taken to duct taping the end onto the router and that's worked, but it's obviously not ideal.

if it wasn't for the next problem, I'd probably be content. However, when using this router, is it EXCESSIVELY difficult to see what I'm doing through the plastic guard surrounding the base, which is also necessary to create a proper vacuum for the dust collection.  That and it helps keep projectiles to a minimum.

Anyone have this router and do you experience the same thing?  I DO have to say, I have a KREG benchtop routing table, and I use the Triton with it, and I couldn't be happier!  It's a FANTASTIC router for my table, so if it was just used for that alone, I wouldn't even be talking about this right now.  Obviously, when I need to do other work with the router on the guitar body (pickup cavities, etc.), I take it off the table and then use it for that - experiencing everything I've talked about above.  It's fairly easy to remove and replace on the table, but it's still a process.

Really, I'm considering getting a PALM/Compact router for a few of these reasons.  I'm wondering how many of you use one for pickup/control cavities, etc. on your guitars?  They seem to be a bit easier to use for things like that, and not as unweildy as my big plunge router (which is kind of heavy too).  Wondering about type/brand/power needs - and also if dust collection is a consideration on these smaller routers?

Thanks in advance!!

PS, I'm considering the Dewalt, I'm a fan of their products, but Bosch is a close second!

image.png.9de79e8ca12f96df4c8fdf37e8dc3788.pngimage.png.44f8bcd311cfa82c9bef905513ff7067.png

Edited by spindlebox

I had the slightly smaller 1/2" version of that router (the 1100w one) and it was useless to be honest. the first thing I noted after the excessively high pitched motor was the clear yet completely opaque dust port you mentioned. A couple of the features stopped working not long after I got it, firstly the fine adjuster would slip gears then the speed dial would move of it's own accord during use, after about 6 weeks it stopped working entirely so I ditched it and went back to my old cheap Ryobi, What was most aggrivating was that Amazon wouldn't let me return it after 30 days and Triton didn't want to know either so I was well out of pocket. 

I've got the Trend T11 now which is superior in every way IMO, although the dust port has just broken so I need to replace that. But that was 50% bad design and 50% down to my miss handling of it.

I do use a trim router for odd jobs but IMO you're better off with something with at least 2hp motor and a solid build for routing bodies, pickup cavities etc, smaller routers and much more likely to dance around and eat your work piece. 

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I had the slightly smaller 1/2" version of that router (the 1100w one) and it was useless to be honest. the first thing I noted after the excessively high pitched motor was the clear yet completely opaque dust port you mentioned. A couple of the features stopped working not long after I got it, firstly the fine adjuster would slip gears then the speed dial would move of it's own accord during use, after about 6 weeks it stopped working entirely so I ditched it and went back to my old cheap Ryobi, What was most aggrivating was that Amazon wouldn't let me return it after 30 days and Triton didn't want to know either so I was well out of pocket. 

I've got the Trend T11 now which is superior in every way IMO, although the dust port has just broken so I need to replace that. But that was 50% bad design and 50% down to my miss handling of it.

I do use a trim router for odd jobs but IMO you're better off with something with at least 2hp motor and a solid build for routing bodies, pickup cavities etc, smaller routers and much more likely to dance around and eat your work piece. 

Ok good advice!  Sorry for your experience with Triton.  Like I said, as a router for my table, it's unbelievably great and I'm pretty happy with it.  I just did get that new attachment and hose I mentioned above, and it fits NICE and snug in that clear port, so I believe I have that solved.  I just wish I could see better while I'm routing.  Thank goodness for templates and roller bearings!

So even if you pre-drill cavities/pockets with a forstner bit, you still need at least a 2hp router?  I would think it would make short work of it after that.

Edited by spindlebox

For what I've used and seen the clear dust collectors aren't transparent for too long, same goes for their longevity. At our workshop there's several brands of routers, none of which has that left.

A wide vacuum port at the edge of the routing table might help, we have one on the floor at the workshop and it's very convenient when brooming the floor! I'm not sure if a shop vac has enough power, though. Ours is huge, serving more than a dozen big power tools with 6" tubes and hoses.

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

For what I've used and seen the clear dust collectors aren't transparent for too long, same goes for their longevity. At our workshop there's several brands of routers, none of which has that left.

A wide vacuum port at the edge of the routing table might help, we have one on the floor at the workshop and it's very convenient when brooming the floor! I'm not sure if a shop vac has enough power, though. Ours is huge, serving more than a dozen big power tools with 6" tubes and hoses.

Yes, the KREG table has a wide port that works VERY well.  Like I said, for table routing this thing is excellent!  Thanks for your input. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that I did pick up the Dewalt, and tried it using a pickup template - I have to say I'm very happy with being able to see what I'm doing more clearly, and it's obviously not as unweildy as the bigger Triton.  I still see myself using the Triton from time to time (currently it has a fence that enables me to very easily cut truss rod pockets), but I'll probably be using the Dewalt for most of my hand routing, and the Triton for table routing.

The Dewalt DID come with a dust collection accessory that is again EXTREMELY difficult to fit with a connector to a hose.  I managed to fabricate something from a set of Universal Ports I purchased from Amazon, so I have it working - but I think manufacturers need to spend more time either 1) providing adapters, or 2) making sure their ports fit standard sized hoses.

In my opinion the only viable way to have a dust collector in a hand held router would be a hose coming from up above (from the ceiling) with some sort of a locking mechanism. A stiff hose on the table - or worse, hanging off the table and grabbing the edge - is something that very effectively can make you lose the precise control of the tool and in the worst cases ruin your workpiece.

37 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

In my opinion the only viable way to have a dust collector in a hand held router would be a hose coming from up above (from the ceiling) with some sort of a locking mechanism. A stiff hose on the table - or worse, hanging off the table and grabbing the edge - is something that very effectively can make you lose the precise control of the tool and in the worst cases ruin your workpiece.

Nah. It's not as bad as you might think. I didn't have any problem Keeping control. And actually the hose I'm using is a little heavy.  The things I am routing are things like pick up cavities so it doesn't require a lot of movement. So you just hang the hose off the edge of the table and go to work.

For an especially deep cavity, it beats having to cleanup afterwards!

• Like 1