String Spacing Decision

spindlebox

Hello all!  All a beginning luthier, I'm trying to decide on what string spacing to use - generally - for my guitars.  Something that will enable me to use a greater variety of bridges, etc., for my builds.  I'm just looking for something that will work in most cases.

I'm planning on purchasing a jig, for instance, that will make pickup making a bit easier.  (https://tlcguitargoods.com/nl/flatwork-pers-jig-54mm-string-spacing.html); I assembled a single coil bobbin yesterday and it was pretty difficult without a jig - though I put together a few handmade items which made it easier, and I was ultimately successful.  Problem with this is, a jig is only good for ONE string spacing.  This is why I want to get one that might serve me moving forward, as I plan on making my own pickups.  It will extend of course to the actual flatwork I purchase as well, and I want to buy in bulk.  This is the main reason for this thread.  I would even consider using a couple different spacings if it will serve me better as well.

What say you?  I know Fender can vary from 52 to 55mm for instance.  I don't have a set maker of hardware that I use yet, though I have had good luck with Wilkinson, and of course Fender for some of their items.

I just thought I would start a discussion, and pick your brains a bit!  Thanks in advance.

Yepp, there's several commonly used spacing and pickup widths. For the latter it also matters where you're going to put that pickup, the neck PU often is wider although not always. And a slanted PU should also be wider to make the poles match with the strings.

Then again, when set perpendicular to the strings the width doesn't matter much. The difference between a neck and bridge humbucker is usually 2 mm at the most. Divided between 6 strings that's 1/3mm in average. Or rather the outermost strings will be about 1 mm off center and the rest even less. Considering that the pole pieces are about 5 mm in diameter, that's 20% off center at the maximum. Not too much to affect tone in an audible measure, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crusader said:

Its not entirely necessary but there is something satisfying about having the strings going over the centre of the pole pieces. I sometimes would like to build a Les Paul with Fender style single coils, but how would you make a pickup with different spacing? I'm not very fluent at Dutch LOL

I mean you could do it if you had a way to design your own flat work and even 3-D print them, Or manufacture them somehow.  There are a couple of things I am considering for future, 3-D printer for just such type work and CNC machine for templates.

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Yepp, there's several commonly used spacing and pickup widths. For the latter it also matters where you're going to put that pickup, the neck PU often is wider although not always. And a slanted PU should also be wider to make the poles match with the strings.

Then again, when set perpendicular to the strings the width doesn't matter much. The difference between a neck and bridge humbucker is usually 2 mm at the most. Divided between 6 strings that's 1/3mm in average. Or rather the outermost strings will be about 1 mm off center and the rest even less. Considering that the pole pieces are about 5 mm in diameter, that's 20% off center at the maximum. Not too much to affect tone in an audible measure, I suppose.

I guess in answer to your very 1st statement, what would those be?

It depends a bit on the pickup design.

For humbuckers the width varies from 69 (N) to 71 mm (B) and the outermost pole spacing from center to center from 50 to 53 mm. SeymourDuncan seems to use .414"/10.5 mm between individual pole pieces on some of their models, both 6 and 7 string versions.

For single coils the outer diameter of the housing varies from 66 to 70 mm and the outermost pole spacing from 48 to 50 to 52 mm for a three pickup Strat design. I could also find one example of adjacent poles being 10.3 mm apart so it's basically the same as with humbuckers.

All this information was gathered using Google Image search using phrases "humbucker dimensions" and "single coil pickup dimensions".

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

It depends a bit on the pickup design.

For humbuckers the width varies from 69 (N) to 71 mm (B) and the outermost pole spacing from center to center from 50 to 53 mm. SeymourDuncan seems to use .414"/10.5 mm between individual pole pieces on some of their models, both 6 and 7 string versions.

For single coils the outer diameter of the housing varies from 66 to 70 mm and the outermost pole spacing from 48 to 50 to 52 mm for a three pickup Strat design. I could also find one example of adjacent poles being 10.3 mm apart so it's basically the same as with humbuckers.

All this information was gathered using Google Image search using phrases "humbucker dimensions" and "single coil pickup dimensions".

OK, so I'm going to start with 50 and 52 and go from there.  Thanks!