Carving neck pocket

keithb

I'm faced with the prospect of either buying a router and making or buying templates to route my neck pocket and pickup cavities. I'd like to avoid buying a router just yet, if I can.

Should I just just bite the bullet and buy a router? I do have a dremel, but I don't think it will be too much use here, especially without the router base.

Advice please! :D

Can you rent a router? I have several places near me that I can rent tools from but I don't know if that's an option for you or not. Unfortunately, I really think a router is the best way to go with this. In addition to the router, you'll need a good pattern bit as well. You can find them at most hardware stores but they are usually a bit too tall to use with the thin templates such as the ones stewmac sells. The short pattern bit that stewmac sells is expensive ($25.00, I think?) but is well worth it if you're planning on building more than one guitar or if this guitar is going to be your ultimate and you don't want any major mistakes. It's hard to get a flat surface without a router but it could be done with a dremel and some creative sanding. If you can manage it, try to get a router somehow and consider the issue of the pattern bit.

Keithb: Go ahead and buy a router. If you don't have enough money, just wait till you do. A router is one of the most used tool in guitar building. I can do most everything with a good plunge router, various flush trim bits, straight bits, and a bunch of templates. My next neck will be completely cut out with templates and flush trim bits. The way I see it, that's the most important tool you can buy. You won't regret it.. You can even buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight until you can afford a good Porter Cable one.

If you do your research ahead of time,pawn shops can be a great source for power tools for the budget minded.Every power tool I have came from one,saved me a bundle.But you have to be an educated buyer because many times I have seen them price a used tool the same as a new one.

I'm faced with the prospect of either buying a router and making or buying templates to route my neck pocket and pickup cavities. I'd like to avoid buying a router just yet, if I can.

Should I just just bite the bullet and buy a router? I do have a dremel, but I don't think it will be too much use here, especially without the router base.

Advice please! :D

I know it's not your question, but bite the bullet and get a StewMac template... I tried to make my own, and believe you me, it was a waste of time. I blew almost a year on that alone before I went out and bought a template. From there it took off.

I suppose if you could mill one, you might be able to get away with it, but something tells me if you don't have a router, you probably don't have a mill...