Les Paul Neck Pocket Templates ?

Hello,

Great forum, I am enjoying hanging out here and learning a lot. Does anyone know where I can get a template for a Les Paul neck joint? I have looked at several online merchants, but almost everything is for the fender style bolt-on rather than the mortise and tenon that gibson uses. Also, how do you post pictures in these threads? I don't have my own site, and cannot host.

Thanks All,

Sybex23

No need for a template - just make your mortice and tennon the same size. Since the body only has to work with one neck there is no need to use a 'standard' measurement like on a bolt neck, so cut your mortice, make it as neat and accurate as possible, then cut your tennon to the same dimensions - easy :D

m3865510-4770.jpg

Thanks for the info. I guess I never really thought about the fact that it only has to work on that guitar, and so a template is not really needed.

Here is another question. Since the top is carved as is the body in the picture above this post, how do you cut the angle on the top that the fingerboard around the tenon sits on? In other words, if the neck angle is say 4 degrees, and you want to angle the top of the pocket the same so that the fingerboard sits flush as do most les pauls, what is the best way to measure and cut the top to be accurate? The top in this case refers to the top of the body. Do you cut it before carving?

John Catto's templates (not plans) are available for free from the MIMF library, you will need to register as a member to get them, but that is also free :D

I cut the neck angle with a plane or a router on angled rails before I carve, but after I have cut a rebate around the perimeter of the body to dictate the final carve depth. I did a photo essay a while back on guitar.com's repair board - Here you go.

Thanks for the info. Great tutorial by the way. I also got the templates, thanks again. Once I get them to scale correctly when printed, I'll begin this whole thing.

If I can ever figure out how to post photos, I'll post a body I recently painted. It uses a marblizer and emerald green candy paint from House Of Kolor. I think it looks great but would like some feedback.