Planer Vs Thickness sander - Choose one

AVClub

As I am working to build out my shop, one big bottleneck has been not having a way to plane down rough lumber to exact measurements. I purchased a StewMac Safe-T-Planer but haven't tried it yet as the setup is a bit much to get good results. Because I don't have a ton of extra time, I am trying to make the effort required to work on guitar projects as small as possible. With that said should I prioritize a planer or thickness sander? If so, any recommendations under $1000?

With that said - If I can have BOTH for a little more, I would be open to that too, but might be too good to be true. 

Thanks!

Edited by AVClub

You can always get more tools if needed.

Leveling a small piece with a router running on a sled is a totally valid method, I've even seen dinner table tops leveled that way! I'd say the router is one of the most important tools in guitar building: Leveling, rounding, cavities...

A palm sander can be nice too, but you can do quite a lot with just a good sanding block - I've been very happy with the one that uses round velcro back sanding paper. Add to that a couple of scrapers, they are really effective after you learn how to sharpen them!

Just as a reminder that one doesn't need a ton of power tools to make solidbody guitars:

2 hours ago, AVClub said:

My biggest worry about hand sanding was avoiding dips, but I suppose that’s where practice and skill come in. 

On large areas a big enough block can help. Another trick is to apply minimal pressure. It's like mowing your lawn: The cutters are set to a certain height and you don't push the wheels into the ground to cut shorter.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, woodfab said:

I never liked the thickness sander due to the cost of the paper. and glue can clog them up fast.

I feel that the blades in a thickness-planer will cut faster and cost much less over time.

You have a point in both.

I've never used a thickness sander but we were taught the very first day that the blades don't like glue either. Any squeeze-out has to be scraped away before using the planers.

As for faster cutting, yes, the thickness planer is fast. The hand written instructions limit the max cut to 2 mm which indeed is quite a lot. But... if you try to take just a hair off you'll get diagonal lines on the surface and they look deeper than what you were going to shave off! Also, with figured wood where the grain is omni-directonal it can easily chop pieces off especially at the front edge. Sticking the workpiece (especially thin ones) on a board with a sacrificial piece in front can help but it's a lot of hassle.

So, for thicknessing fast the thickness-planer is a great tool. For sneaking down to an exact measure and for thin and/or figured pieces a sander-thicknesser would be safer.

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

But... if you try to take just a hair off you'll get diagonal lines on the surface

I have two thickness-planers, one has a metal feed roller that will leave diagonal lines on light cuts.

The other one I have has a hard rubber feed roller which won't leave any marks on light cuts.

• Like 1

your sled you made to radius could easily be modded into something that can do thickness/flattening, so a drum sander would be my choice. I am biased because I have one though and find it to be a fantastic tool, saves a huge amount of time and removed the risk of tearout from a thickness planer on highly figured wood. They are very expensive though, but worth every penny. 

I got rid of my thickness sander. A Jet and it was torture all of the time. I still have a thickness planer that is used maybe twice a year only on things for the house. I do have a CNC router and use that for surface planing guitar wood. The use of a router on a sled would give you almost the exact type of finish. The hold back on that is you cannot control the feed rate consistently like you can with a CNC. That being said, using a router sled is a good idea and least expensive. Maybe adding a lead screw to that mix similar to a lathe on the long axis with a handle and even a more consistent feed rate could be achieved. Use at maximum a 1" to 1-1/2" dia bit at say 10k-12K max RPM for that purpose and taking shallow cuts. 

Just my 0.02 cents on this matter.

mk 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, MiKro said:

I got rid of my thickness sander. A Jet and it was torture all of the time. I still have a thickness planer that is used maybe twice a year only on things for the house. I do have a CNC router and use that for surface planing guitar wood. The use of a router on a sled would give you almost the exact type of finish. The hold back on that is you cannot control the feed rate consistently like you can with a CNC. That being said, using a router sled is a good idea and least expensive. Maybe adding a lead screw to that mix similar to a lathe on the long axis with a handle and even a more consistent feed rate could be achieved. Use at maximum a 1" to 1-1/2" dia bit at say 10k-12K max RPM for that purpose and taking shallow cuts. 

Just my 0.02 cents on this matter.

mk 

hmm.... have oft thought of a thickness sander... but not really interested in spending the kind of money they cost given the amount of application so have been holding out for a while on one.  so... when I hear you say it was torture I want to know more.  was it issues with tracking?  I'm told all of them have issues there.  further... if I take small bites on my planer on moderately figured wood I get a good finish which makes me wonder if I'd be happy at all with a drum sander.  I understand that with the dewalt (735?) you get a speed control and supposedly leaves a finish ready surface so... maybe that's a better buy?  

my planer is just a $100 craftsman with good brand new blades.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

hmm.... have oft thought of a thickness sander... but not really interested in spending the kind of money they cost given the amount of application so have been holding out for a while on one.  so... when I hear you say it was torture I want to know more.  was it issues with tracking?  I'm told all of them have issues there.  further... if I take small bites on my planer on moderately figured wood I get a good finish which makes me wonder if I'd be happy at all with a drum sander.  I understand that with the dewalt (735?) you get a speed control and supposedly leaves a finish ready surface so... maybe that's a better buy?  

my planer is just a $100 craftsman with good brand new blades.  

Mike, the tracking on mine was never an issue. The tripping of the breaker on it when I took more than 1/32" was a problem. Also keeping it parallel was an issue as most have only one side closed and the other open so they can do twice the width. I found that my 735 could do most of what I wanted to do, The CNC was also invaluable as was just good hand sanding. :)

MK

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MiKro said:

Mike, the tracking on mine was never an issue. The tripping of the breaker on it when I took more than 1/32" was a problem. Also keeping it parallel was an issue as most have only one side closed and the other open so they can do twice the width. I found that my 735 could do most of what I wanted to do, The CNC was also invaluable as was just good hand sanding. :)

MK

all good info mike.  I have wondered about that (one side open) - I see that grizzly makes one that is supported on both sides but uber expensive.  the cnc is def a great tool for it... I just find the planer to be pretty handy esp for anything bigger than my bed.  very much appreciate the insight!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

all good info mike.  I have wondered about that (one side open) - I see that grizzly makes one that is supported on both sides but uber expensive.  the cnc is def a great tool for it... I just find the planer to be pretty handy esp for anything bigger than my bed.  very much appreciate the insight!!

Mike,

I used to have the pleasure in having access to a friends wood working shop anytime I needed it , had my own key to the shop, about 20k sq ft. He had a drum sander to die for.  It would handle a 6ft wide piece and would go down to a thickness of 1/8".  It had roller in feed and out feed tables that were 12 ft long each.  LOL!!

A tornado took out the shop a few years back and he retired. Oh well.

MK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

Mike,

I used to have the pleasure in having access to a friends wood working shop anytime I needed it , had my own key to the shop, about 20k sq ft. He had a drum sander to die for.  It would handle a 6ft wide piece and would go down to a thickness of 1/8".  It had roller in feed and out feed tables that were 12 ft long each.  LOL!!

A tornado took out the shop a few years back and he retired. Oh well.

MK

noice, good friend to know!  I worked as a cab maker as a young man so am familiar w giant weber sanders... wish I had one and also a giant compressor so I could run a dynabrade orbital.  that'd be heaven indeed!  

tornado... well that must have been a sad day for you both!

• Like 1