CLEAR COAT DILEMMAS

Sethmetal

Two Dilemmas

1. I have an Ibanez RG series that my girlfriend did some custom art with Prisma color(Colored Pencils) The front is random stuff and the back is a mix of HR Gieger Work. I have begun clear coating, using regular clear spray cans from home depot. I think they are poly. Is it ok to finish using this spray, or should I switch to Nitro now??? Where can I find and affordable nitro spray???

2. I'm workung on a Saga guitar kit that came with a figured maple veneer. They sealed the wood (DANG!!!) so I can't stain the top like I'd like to. Wherre can I find a Transparent color spray? I would like to be able to see the wood grain a little. Or is it simply not worth the effort? Thanks for the input

-Seth

There's nothing that says you can't apply the dye on top of the sealer coat...infact that's my prefered way of doing it. It often yields a more "3-D" effect; espically with figured woods. Additionally it will give you a more even color. Somtimes dye is absorbed differently on different sections of wood giving you dark patches...

I say give it a shot on a part of the guitar that will be covered by the pickguard as a test. If it looks good, then seal it in with sanding sealer or the like, and shoot your nitro.

FYI: look at reranch guitar finishing online...they have what you need and some helpful tutorials.

There's nothing that says you can't apply the dye on top of the sealer coat...infact that's my prefered way of doing it. It often yields a more "3-D" effect; espically with figured woods. Additionally it will give you a more even color. Somtimes dye is absorbed differently on different sections of wood giving you dark patches...

I tried to dye over the sealer, and as I imagined, the sealer repels the dye. I'm using the Stew Mac dyes in the 2 oz bottles. Do you have any other suggestions? Otherwise I personally wouldn't recommend this.

Can I mix it with lacquer and apply it by hand? Or do I need to finally make the investment on an airbrush?

Thanks a ton

-Seth

I just read a post below about mixing the dye with alcohol to help it over sealer? What kind of alcohol should I use. Seagrams? Bacardi 151? :D

Seriously though, are we talking Isopropyl alcohol like I can get at the drug store or is it something special.

I just want to get the dye to stick over the sealer. When I used water it repeled right off the sealer (I guess that's what sealer is supposed to do).

Thanks -Seth

I'm afraid of going through the veneer if I sand, it is very thin. Even if I sand down to the surface of the veneer, won't there still be sealer in the pores? What is the most agressive grade paper that I should use? and what grade should I sand up to?

Thanks for the help -Seth :DB)

I just read a post below about mixing the dye with alcohol to help it over sealer? What kind of alcohol should I use. Seagrams? Bacardi 151? :D

Seriously though, are we talking Isopropyl alcohol like I can get at the drug store or is it something special.

I just want to get the dye to stick over the sealer. When I used water it repeled right off the sealer (I guess that's what sealer is supposed to do).

Thanks -Seth

denatured alcohol is what you want....

but a glaze coat would work...mix dye with clear laquer and coat,let dry,and clear over it