Been a while... baritone build

Just got some wood for this build. Now to get some wenge for the neck and body.

Walnut top from ebay (tonewood_eurasia). Also received a second top for some reason, but hey I'm not complaining.

This will be 28" scale, tuned to F#.

20240528_154254.jpg

20240528_154258.jpg

20240528_154301.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Asdrael I made two svg's here, of 28" and 26". Set 7th fret as the straight fret, then drew lines from the templates like this.

Note: the frets need to line up with where the strings go, not the edge of the fretboard.

Note2: I see you can just make a fanned fretboard directly on that site. Aargh :D

fretboard 28 -24 fret.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nakedzen said:

Headstock idea

Looks nice and matches with the offset body. There's echoes from here and there but it still looks unique.

So you "simply" used the lines on the paper to aim your saw, or did you also use a block or something to keep it pointing the same way?

With respect to that fretboard material, at Maderas Barber in Spain they call it "exotic ebony", possibly a "lower" grade because apparently for ebony, the darker it is, the more desirable, I myself like it to have both blackness and grainpattern.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LFlab said:

So you "simply" used the lines on the paper to aim your saw, or did you also use a block or something to keep it pointing the same way?

With respect to that fretboard material, at Maderas Barber in Spain they call it "exotic ebony", possibly a "lower" grade because apparently for ebony, the darker it is, the more desirable, I myself like it to have both blackness and grainpattern.

Yup, a straight line is a straight line. Even if it's tilted.

Here's some info why I use (and you should) use only figured ebony:

9 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

So far so good! Nice woods. I’m interested about something though. If it’s 28 to 26 scale then I imagine that finding a suitable string gauge might be a little bit more involved than it usually is? Because of the different tensions involved. Maybe a custom set? 

I'll sink that bridge once I get to it, no idea on gauges yet. :D

Edit, I guess I can always get custom sets from Stringjoy, they're cheap enough.

• Like 2

For the super shortscale bass, it was certainly trial and error to figure out tuning and string gauges, I think I went through five sets of strings before landing what's on there now, and most of those sets where actually comprised of strings out of two off the shelf guitar/baritone sets, luckily, you can get A LOT of odd string sets these days

On 6/28/2024 at 10:05 AM, LFlab said:

at Maderas Barber in Spain they call it "exotic ebony", possibly a "lower" grade because apparently for ebony, the darker it is, the more desirable

It's not about quality or lower grade, it's about sustainability. The dark ebonies have become endangered due to vast demand and they're listed on CITES which restricts their usage. Most of the more colourful species in the ebony family have similar properties so they're technically equally suitable for fretboards or turning or carving. "Exotic" is simply a marketing name, telling that the wood indeed is good old ebony only with a different look.

Further, the boards or pieces suitable for instrument making are a tiny percentage of an entire trunk. Felling a tree to get one perfect fingerboard is similar to carving a "Flûte à six Schtroumpfs":

flute.JPG.8126a9f9567a4110e5ed10be43f8cf71.JPG

• Thanks 1

Ebony is lovely wood. But I’m not personally into figured fretboards. I want them pitch black. And since I don’t want to use black ebony anymore, Blackwood Tek has proved to be a viable option. It’s not the same, but it’s hard wood and it is black with some grain. I don’t know how it holds in time but so far it hasn’t shown any problems with the two fretboards I have made out of it.

• Like 2

Quick test render on how the woods would look like on the body. Not sure which to go with based on this.

bodytest.thumb.png.d951634a9a9bf351ccc5c0d7c448b14a.png

bodytest2.thumb.png.fd44c4ab4fb630871846e76a32169a46.png

In other news, I have to redo all the fret slots after radiusing the board, which I was afraid of. So, another template on with the masking tape + ca trick.

I cut through the template and removed it, now there's just the masking tape left.

20240701_093219.thumb.jpg.8e4a225f101911981607963152ed4836.jpg

No, the saw is not usb powered.

• Like 1

Well, now I'm torn if I'll use the walnut at all. I found the piece of korina I had was way too slim for a body. But on a positive side it's thick enough for a carved top and also has some really pretty flame on it. So I can't decide which piece will be the top. :D

Ordered some wenge for the back of the body since I want dark wood there. Never worked with wenge so tips are appreciated.

20240703_113940.jpg

20240704_122845.jpg

20240704_124154.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nakedzen said:

Never worked with wenge so tips are appreciated.

And if you get a splinter under your skin it will cause an inflammation almost immediately. And it splinters easily while blunting your tools.

https://www.wood-database.com/wenge/

• Like 2