clear coating

ernie

Hi guys, I am at the clear coating stage with my project. I sprayed automotive paint from regular cans. The color coats turned out very neat, even, and smooth. Then I applied two coats of polyurethane that I got at the home depot. these two first coats went on without a glitch. A couple of days after, I went on to apply more coats on it and the clear coat immediately formed what looked like crystals, or maybe it shrunk... I don't know.

Is polyurethane compatible with automotive spray??? I looked into it and did not find any reasons to believe otherwise. The poly I am using is oil based.

Any ideas???

thanks alot

ernie :D

i sprayed in my garage, and brought it inside for it to dry. the thing is that the first two coats of poly were flawless. no problems at all. It was when i sprayed on the third coat that the poly immediately "crystalyzed" or shrunk in some spots on the guitar. i think will have to strip the whole thing down to the paint and respray in order to get an even finish.

i will try and get some pictures up for ya to look at.

ernie

If you used the minwax stuff,you will probably have to strip it.The best results I have gotten is by waiting 20 minutes between coats and doing all the layers in one session.I've tried doing a couple of coats and waiting a few days, wetsanding and recoating,which looked good until I tried to buff it.The later coats seperated from the original coats.I tried fixing it by spraying again and ended up with some crystalyzing.Frustrating stuff to work with.The finish is okay,but it seems pretty hard to get it to look like a pro job.I have 4 bodies ready to clear and have decided to go the compressor,gun,2 part poly route.Sometimes I'm a slow learner.

The first two coats were applied with about 15 - 20 minutes in between. The third coat that shrunk was sprayed about four days after.

minwax is the stuff i am using, and what i hear from you guys is that i would be better off spraying all my coats in one session. i will have to strip the whole guitar first though.

how many coats do you think would be an absolute minimum for a good buffing afterwards??

thanks for your help guys

ernie :D