wood staining/finishing: NEWBIE ALERT!!

Hi, there! I'm a new member, first post. I have several basses, and am about to take delivery of an unfinished swamp ash body. I'd like to have a go at staining this myself, as per the instructions elsewhere on this site. Any other tips, and do I have to laquer after the stain is applied? I kinda liked the Warwick oil/wax finish but am really in need of some advice.

All help gratefully received.

Regards to all,

Hairy

Hi HairyScotsman and welcome to the forum :D

You have plenty of options for a protective finish over the stain!

You can use just about any paint or try a tung oil finish or just leave it natural but that just like some of the others will require maintence from time to time.

What kind of surface did you have in mind (like a high gloss or natural appearence)?

Well the best bet as always really is to have enough stain left to do a scrap piece of wood. That way you can try a multiple set of different topcoats over it and see if any problems will develop.

Even a 2x4 will work since your really interested in the reaction between the stain and the oil :D

Hi Hairy,

I would like to repeat and emphasize something Brian said: get some extra wood and practice finishing before working on your real guitar. This will save you lots of tears and $$$$. Trust me on this issue, if you trust me on nothing else.

To answer your last question, on drying time: You want to allow all of the excess water to evaporate before applying any finish. Oil, Poly, Nitro. What ever. Being the paranoid SOB that I am, I let my last application of dye dry over night, then I spray Nitro. Due to things like temperature, humidity, etc., it is impossible to predict an exact time, but overnight should be fool proof.

Take care and take pictures!

Guitar Ed

Thanx Ed.

Practice might be a problem, as Swamp Ash is rare as Hen's Teeth over here. I could maybe try get an offcut of ordinary Ash from Timber Agent?

I was gonnna use (as per advice elsewhere on this site) a dark stain, sand, then colour stain of my choice, to let figuring come through.

My concern is the Tung Oil:I like the idea of this kinda of look and finish, and I think the sound (acoustically) may not be as 'bright' due to lack of Nitro, etc., but am worried about how the Tung Oil will react with the colour stain? If it looks ok, will I have to sand again?

Cheers,

Hairy