pot help

lotass

i need some help, I want the best pots I can get, so i have a couple questions. The only 3 sites I know are stewmac, warmoth, and universal jems, so lemme know if theres some others I should check out for pots.

1.) What's the different between 500/250K pots? which is better?

2.) Brands of pots?

3.) Whats the fender/gibson of pots, etc.

:D right here man is best pot.."NOW GIVE ME MY MONEY SON,OR ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG..."oh you me pots like vol knobs and stuff i dont know good luck...

uhm....wow thanks....

another question, push/pull pots? is this similar to a blend knob?

kind of like prs' push pull pot that gives you a strat or LP sound?

1.) What's the different between 500/250K pots? which is better?

2.) Brands of pots?

3.) Whats the fender/gibson of pots, etc.

1. 500K for brighter overall response, usually used for humbuckers, 250K for warmer, less shrill sound, usually used with single coils to cut some of the natural high end. Anything between 2M and 200K should work, although the sound will be quite different. As you can see, "better" depends on what you're looking for.

2. CTS, Alpha, ALPS, Bournes - any medium grade audio pot should work fine. Don't spend your life savings on audiophile grade pots like the ALPS Blue Velvet or similar - there won't be any audible difference in a high impedance passive circuit like a guitar.

3. Both Fender and Gibson use CTS pots AFAIK - no reason to assume they're any better, they just have a long-standing (35+ years) relationship. Imports, like Epi and Squire, generally use ALPS or Alpha.

another question, push/pull pots? is this similar to a blend knob?

kind of like prs' push pull pot that gives you a strat or LP sound?

A push/pull pot has a switch physically connected to the shaft, but there is no electrical connection between the two. A blend pot is two pots that work on a common shaft - again, there is no electrical connection between the two. It is also called a "dual-gang" pot. Hope that helps.

<disclaimer>the preceding is my opinion based on my experience and the data available at the time of this post. YMMV </disclaimer>