neck & body = 1 wood?

That much wood, without any laminations, would be prone to too many movements left unchecked by the laminations we currently use in building. I'd wager your strings would go out of alignment, or you'd be more succeptable to a change in your neck angle than with a neck through. Its a nice thought, though I wouldn't want to be the one to have to build it. Plus you can't combine woods, so you have to use mahogany, maple, or some other wood suitable for both body and neck construction. If you make one let us know how it goes.

Some smaller ones (ie travel guitars) are made of one piece (I think). Pros are better tone transference, perhaps slighty stronger, Cons are LOTS of wasted wood (depending on body style), and it's very expensive (not to mention hard to find)to buy big enough wood. Especially for a full size guitar.

Devon

aren't most solid body electrics have their body as just one pice of wood, so won't having a 1 piece neck-body just add the necks length to the original sizee of just the body which is not really all that big.

Adding another 20" or so onto a body that is already about that long is A TON of wood. You'd need a board at least 14" wide and maybe 2" thick and anywhere up to 40" long. Thats huge, so when you start getting into woods that are worth while, you may be looking at a lot of money...or little quality.

In addtion it could be very risky attempting to form the body wings and heel when the neck is already right there. If you make one mistake, the entire thing is scrap. And there's lots of room for mistake

this is a common beginners question, i know i asked this question at one point in time. the truth is, it is expensive and a waste of wood. plus you would need some excellent solid wood to compensate for string tension. my personal opinion, i wouldn't even think about such a project.

Some smaller ones (ie travel guitars) are made of one piece (I think). Pros are better tone transference, perhaps slighty stronger, Cons are LOTS of wasted wood (depending on body style), and it's very expensive (not to mention hard to find)to buy big enough wood. Especially for a full size guitar.

Devon

aren't most solid body electrics have their body as just one pice of wood, so won't having a 1 piece neck-body just add the necks length to the original sizee of just the body which is not really all that big.

Nope most solid bodies are 2-3 up to 6 ive heard for factory work. Besides the costs the wisedom of frank applies here for stability.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...4916&hl=steiney

Keep in mind that this guy was a luthier, and just now got back into the business. Make guitars for 20 years, then try it.

Also keep in mind that the dimensions of that guitar are WAY cut down do to the no headstock, and really no body wings either. It's a relatively small piece of wood for that one....:D Not saying that that makes it any easier, just less expensive