Brand new here

I wanted to build a guitar for the woodshop class thats offered at my high school. I wanted an idea of how much it would cost, how hard, what i need to know, good sites or books, etc. My plan is this: guitars are called axes, right? so i wanted to build a guitar in the shape of a double sided medival style battle axe (think this, without the fancy dragon head thing). I'm obviously still in the waaaaay early planning stages. My main concerns are cost and difficulty (time isnt an issue, I can always take the class agian to finish it up). How much do these kinds of projects cost everyone else?

Oh, one more thing: I'm thinking about making it a 7 string. I'm calling it the Battleaxe 7 project :D

little awkward to hold eh? anyways, i would do the fansy dragonhead thing, and good job on thinkin bout doin it as a school project!! i did mine as a school project, and still gotta finish it up

In my own opinion, the first picture would be sweeter

Curtis

Drak, i was thinking more symetrical on both sides, but yeah, thats looks way cool.

how much do custom guitars usually cost? the pickups im looking at (cant decide between dimarzio blaze or evo 7s) are 70 each at musicians friend, a FR 7 string trem will probably be $150 (i cant find an original 7 string FR trem, only licenced ones...any help here?), and I have no idea how much body or neck wood would be, or if i can buy the neck prebuilt somewhere. Ive checked carvin, and they only have neck through 7 string necks, and a neck through is probably gonna be to hard for my 1st guitar. could i cut off the excess neck wood and make it a bolt on?

Doing a neck-thru would be easier in that you don't have to route a neck pocket that is square with the body. It is already staright down the middle. All you do is glue on some sides and shape it. Just be really careful when cutting near the neck. That is the only more difficult part...well that and you have to work with the neck attached all the time. It will definitely add structural integrity to your instrument and you don't have to buy neck screws and a plate....