Pickup Problems

sjaguar13

My friend sold me a Jackson, but the input jack wasn't soldered. I fixed that, but the front pickup is really quiet. After playing with it, I realized that if the selector switch was in the front position, and I touched the bridge, it made that noise like touching an end of a quater inch cable when the other end is plugged into an amp. Is that a grounding issue? Would fixing that make the front pickup louder?

for the mex tele, I'd say that the strings aren't grounded. You know that magical wire that goes from the ground to the bridge of your guitar.

Might be worth checking on the jackson too.

I can't recall offhand what pickups are in circuit when the Jackson is in the front position (I'm a darn bass player :D ) but I had a similar problem recently.

First, as was already mentioned, I would check the grounding and make sure the joints are all good and the wires intact. You can check your bridge ground by putting one lead of your ohmmeter on the bridge and the other lead on the back of a pot. You should read 0 Ohms. Do the same for all connections on the ground circuit.

If that's not it I would next check the wiring on the pickup that is making the noise - it sounds like a reversed lead (the ground and hot are backwards).

On the Mex Tele I owuld check for the same two issues. Has it been modified recently? I had an Epi Les Paul that did just what you are describing and found the output jack was hooked up backwards.

I am not really good with pickups and crap, so I don't know where ground is. I touched the back of a pot and the bridge with my ohmmeter, and it read 0. I was looking at the wires and notice that a pickup wire (didn't check what one), had the bare wire to the pot, and the red wire goes no where. The Jackson has 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers. Is the red wire the problem, or should I keep looking?