Reattaching a set neck?

From http://www.dbeweb.com/guitar/guitar3.html

I decided to place a straightedge over the center of the fretboard and measure the distance of the straightedge to the body at a point 3 inches beyond the edge of the fretboard.  In that way I'd duplicate the angle of his nice playing Custom Shop Les Paul.  On his guitar, that measurement turned out to be 13/64".

What did he measure? Is the neck angled back slightly?

Take my advice with a large grain of salt but I would just dry fit it and then put a couple of strings on to check the angle and the alignment with the bridge. Very low tech I admit but it works for me.

If there is anything wrong with this please let me know, I have enough bad habits as it is. :D

that link you posted is very intresting, and his lespaul now looks so much better as well after the repair

when you glue and clamp the neck you have nearly 30 minutes to adjust all that before the glue becomes tacky(titebond)

i just make sure the angle is proper with a tight fit,so there is no adjustment there,so all i have to do is check the alignment to be sure,and i do that by running a straitedge down the center of the neck and making sure it lines up with the center of the bridge

So if I put a straight edge in the middle of the neck, it should sit right on top the middle of the bridge?

Well maybe, if the bridge is adjusted all the way down. That way you have room to run the bridge up to give the action you want. Just make sure you have enough travel left in the bridge adjustment to bring the strings up as high as you will want them.

That's one of the reasons I use strings instead of a straight edge. The straight edge is faster to lay down but for a hack like me it helps to have the strings on there giving me constant feedback on the position in all dimensions. Also, for me it's easier to judge if it's centered by using the two E's and the edge of the board and having positive contact on the nut and bridge. I use the string trick on both the glue up and the dry run to check the route angle.