Big Mistake

:D Okay, I just did a wonderful Cherry Burst on my Mosrite replica and started to top coat it with the 2 part poly. I put the first couple of coats on and let it dry and started to wet sand. 600 and then to the 800 grit.

I noticed a small sand through on the back and was horrorified. I tried to touch it up with my Red fade coat. That was a big mistake! It seems that the aerosol can of stain likes to eat the poly finish. This went from a small, non-noticeable sand through to having to repaint the entire thing.

To my question.

Once I realized the only way out was to start over I took a blade a started scrapping off some of the paint. To my surprise it flaked off like nothing. It hadn't even penetrated the wood! Does this happen with sanding sealer? It felt like it did when I put the sealer on. Can this cause issues later on? It seemed to be on there good, but the fact that it came off easily concerns me. Can the catalistic poly make the finish strong enough not to flake? Is this common or should I stain and then sand and seal?

Since I'm going through the trouble of refinishing it, I just want to be sure I get it right this time.

Sorry for the novel. I have been weeping for my finish. May it rest in peace.

My experience with poly resulted in realizing that poly is VERY unforgiving. Its near impossible to fix mistakes and hope that the area(s) will blend in properly after patching. I'm sticking with automotive laquer from here on in for my clearcoats. And as far as "sticking" goes, I've learned its a good practice to lightly roughen the surface before applying the first, next or whatever coat of paint, clear etc. That may be the reason why you did not get a successful bond between paint and sealer.

I just LOVE poly over lacquer. Killer gloss and depth. But, you can't shoot lacquer over it ....unless it's fully cured a few years, I just did an acrylic green with nitro clear over poly. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way. I've heard the Reranch guys like to use sealer and then stain...make the stain go on evenly, but I've never tried. Are you saying the catalyzed poly flaked off? That sounds wierd...

Anywho, my last paint job done over a scuffed poly Tele bod...acrylic silver base, clear acrylic and silver flakes, acrylic coppertone and poly clear with Aztek Gold pearl... :D

1077837688_106_0652_IMG.jpg

I just LOVE poly over lacquer. Killer gloss and depth. But, you can't shoot lacquer over it ....unless it's fully cured a few years, I just did an acrylic green with nitro clear over poly. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way. I've heard the Reranch guys like to use sealer and then stain...make the stain go on evenly, but I've never tried. Are you saying the catalyzed poly flaked off? That sounds wierd...

Anywho, my last paint job done over a scuffed poly Tele bod...acrylic silver base, clear acrylic and silver flakes, acrylic coppertone and poly clear with Aztek Gold pearl... :D

1077837688_106_0652_IMG.jpg

i love the switch!

"crap!" B):D