ordering fingerboard from stewmac(or online)

Well I dont want to buy fretting tools (by fretting tools I mean a fret cutter :D) because I want to save up for a floyd rose. Has anyone ever bought a precut fingerboard from Stewmac or any website or store and how did it turn out? Are the slots accurate? this is my first guitar, would you reccomend I cut the slots myself, or does it take out of the guitar making experience buying the fingerboard precut or what?

although you probably won't find much other then maple, ebony, rosewood and pau derro, if you're not looking for a specific exotic wood, then i would recomend it aswell

Ditto on that.. Buying the preslotted saves you alot of money on tools. It's also not much higher anyway.. Comparison...

Ebony unslotted 19.90

Ebony slotted 23.90

Ebony slotted and radiused 25.90

Stuff you'll want to have if you slot your own.

Fret Slotting Miter Box with Saw

Fret Scale Template to use with Miter Box

39.50 a piece

As you can see... you'd have to make alot of fretboards to save any money...

Also I've never had any problems with the Stew Mac fingerboards and they have all been slotted great.

I would suggest LMI since they have a larger selection of woods. They will also slot and radius the boards to whatever you want (well, they have a large selection of radii and scales).

I bought a Pau Ferro fretboard for my bass, pre-slotted and radiused, and I am very happy with it.

I have bought several from them. If you buy ebony, expect a bit of brown. The slots are excellent and the radiusing of the board is very good/clean. Are you planning on buying the fretwire from them also?

Yes because I don't know if it's a sales gimmick or what but it says "ready to accept our fretwire" and I'd just feel safest if I used their fretwire too. I haven't resaerched sizes yet, I looked in their catalog and saw High and Wide is used in Jackson's and Ibanez's so I might go for Wide and Medium-High or so, haven't researched it much though. Reccomendations?

Well I dont want to buy fretting tools (by fretting tools I mean a fret cutter :D) because I want to save up for a floyd rose.

You must mean a fret-slotting saw, because you will still need something to cut the frets. No cheap way out, unless you're ok with cheap results. I was adding up what I've spent on fretting tools and instructional materials, and I think it came out to between $2,000 -$3,000

No. I have the paper somewhere, that I did the adding on. It includes power tools that I needed to make various jigs for fret-related work. All my straightedges, dial calipers, indicators, saws, neck-jig, files, sanding blocks, radius blocks, clamps, fret bender, dremel, video tapes, books,etc etc etc.

The only power-tools I have are a drill-press, router, dremel, small air compresser.

I don't mean you have to have what I have to do an acceptable fret-job, but I think it takes more tools worth than the price of a floyd. And if you need some training, just the half-way decent video tape costs $50

You trying hard to prove me wrong or something ? If so, you better make a fancy list from Allied Luthier, Harbor freight, and Woodcraft supply too.

And most important, I never said one had to have what I have.

naw just curious as to how you actually got a number that high that's all :D

I know personally I've spent at least over a thousand myself and still haven't gotten close to all the tools I need. I can very easily see paying that much to have all the right tools for the job. I did however save alot by building my own neck jig. They want 355 dollars just for that alone. I like that list you had KrazyD.. lol.. Did you go ahead and checkout? Just curious.. lol

i've bought a preslotted fingerboard for a les paul that i want to make from stewmac.

well, the fingerboard is radiused 12''

is there a problem inlaying it?

what i have exactly to do to make the inlays radiused?

what kind of wood was it? and can someone clear up for me how exactly you measure a neck radius or what it is? I know what a radius is in terms of a circle and such so I assume you would look at the neck as being a half-circle, but that can't be right..

clarification please?