EMG HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Sethmetal

Ok I'm putting a set of EMG's(81/85) in a brand new Ibanez Iceman IC400. No problem I'm confident in electronics. But then, a mechanical setback.

The pickups require installing their input jack (It controls on/off functions). Their input is the traditional style found in Strat deep dishes, except it is a stereo jack. The middle lug grounds the battery to the sleeve of teh 1/4" cable.

Ibanez puts a superior style jack in their Japanese instruments, it is held by a 1 1/2" deep hole in the body (way too thick for the 1/2" deep EMG jack).

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO????

Tell me if these are acceptable solutions.

1. There is an extra lug on the Ibanez jack. Does Ibanez put stereo jacks in their guitars...and simply don't use them? If this extra lug goes to the sleeve, then no problem...we're in business. But if not.......plan 2

2. A manual switch would funcition the same way. The ownere of the instrument will kill me if I drill a hole. So I guess I could use a Push/Pull.

I figure down would be on, and up would be off. It would be good until she put it in her case. Close the case and "on" goes the axe. If I reverse it, I think it will annoy her.

3. If there is a rotary 2way switch I can make a master tone and use the other tone as the on/off.

I could use all the help and experience available. Thanks -Seth :D

I'm having a hard time understanding the exact issue - is it that the EMG jack is too short to fit into a longer hole that your guitar comes with?

If so, how about the stereo jack that stewmac sells? It's at least 1.5", I think. That's the one I use for my projects when using EMG's.

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem though?

Maybe I was understanding it.

Use a meter and plug in a cable. Test it using the ohm function on a meter and see where each lug goes. If it's stereo (if there are three lugs, it's gotta be, I would think) then yo're set. If not check out the stewmac jack.

You're absolutely right.

The Jack that Ibanez includes in the instrument is Stereo. I guess some(but not all) of the jacks that Ibanez installs are stereo. This happened to be one of them. Right after I posted, I checked on the EMG FAQ section......I always do stuff backwards.....Sure enough they mention this specific situation. I hooked up to the third lug and all is well in Iceman land. Honestly, the EMG's aren't as bad as I remember them. NOT THAT THEY ARE BAD....I just remember not liking it for some reason. Oh well, they sound good now.

Thanks for all the help. -Seth

gald yours worked out i had a sabre and thought that mine was stereo. had three lugs but not stereo. very strange. just had to buy a new jack..

that could be why then . of cousre mine was old.. and it was american. but i had to replace the neck on it with a jap neck my neck was cracked. and ibanez still hasn't fixed my first guitar problemm so i no longer buy them i have a clone of one and a burnt original one.. but no more real ibanez for me..

I sent a Custom steve vai green meanie assembled by the one and only Mace Bailey back to ibanez when my fret was screwed up (long before i ever got into refretting and no one around here would touch it) that and i had a loose inlay and my bridge pickup was blown. very microphonic.

i have yet to get the guitar back from ibanez.

that was 1996

very few guitars especially the sevenstrnigs were signed by mace bailey

I can't believe you seem as calm about it as you do. I think I'd fly off to Japan, or at least be calling them everyday. Are you sure that they recieved it???? That's along time, they could have built that guitar from scratch and have Mace Bailey do his thing again by now. Very Disapointing. I love Ibanez too much not to buy anymore....ah I like the old ones better anyway.

he is no longer at ibanez. unfortuenately.

at aleast that is waht i was told.

they said they couldnt' find it.

Bummer Ansil :D

Ibanez should have a receiving log from their shipping dept showing that they got it. If you have any proof of shipment (such as a picking ticket from shipping company) then you could send Ibanez a copy. If they have never received it and you, Ibanez or shipping company have no proof of shipment then you may be SOL but if any proof is available then they owe you some dough. The longer you wait though, the harder it will be to proove. Squeeky wheel gets the greese as they say. I would be pissed thinking some guitar tech at Ibanez took my axe! I wouldn't take "we lost it" for an answer without some kinda compensation. Tell 'em your band is ready to purchase all Ibanez gear and you'll have to change your mind if this doesn't get resolved. Just keep your cool and be as business-like as you know how to be. I always insure my gear with the shipping company to avoid this kinda thing. That way the shipping company compensates you and they go after Ibanez for reimbursement.

well long story short i sent it off when the music store i used to frequent changed hands.. it was kind of there deal sending ti for me.. but unfortuenatley. when they changed hands.. was around the same time i changed homes. and due to some nasty flood waters at the storage building i had improtant paperwork ruined..

it almost never floods around here. i mean excessive run off but thats not uncommon.

but one day and of course it was when a hurricane hit the coast and walked up the coast. while i was in atlanta. they got the rain from the hurricane in north georgia where my storage building was at.

i know i should be more pissed but in the beginning i was fuming and ranting and raving mad. i called them up and they said to let them look at the case and they woudl call me i gave it a week and called them and kept calling them and still nothign.

the pacakage i sen it to them in was ups i believe.. but the sticker i got from the music store went on it to ship, and i already covered the flood water prblemwith the receipt.

since then i couldnt' even get them to fix my smash drive. so i dont' really rely on them for anything.. however if anyone knows an honsest ibanez reprisentative i would appreciate any help they could offer. i can go back and try to find out where and exactly when it was shipped.