Converting a strat to a Floyd!

Hi!

I am thinking of converting my first and favorite guitar of all time my Fender USA Strat to a low pro floyd rose tremolo. Technically this is no problem for me, but I wonder if it will change the sound of my beloved guitar much. I think it shouldn't make much difference in comparison to the standard trem, as both trems have about the same mass and the floyd is mounted exactly the same as the Fender trem. Does anyone here have expirience in that area?

Thanks,

Marcel!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, the blocks are the same, but the pro is bigger then a standard fender trem, so that may affect sound, but startin to get into the minut little details here, odds are any difference you hear will be in your head...

of course now that i've said that i'm sure everyone else will say the exact oposite....

i think the posts are actually in different locations, i have the diagram here for retrofiting a strat with a floyd, specifically it shows you where to place the posts in relation to the 2 types of posts

according to most tone freaks, tone is 'thinner' ever so slightly with a FR tremolo, but its not very noticeable at all....

they're probably just not used to playing in tune :D

according to most tone freaks, tone is 'thinner' ever so slightly with a FR tremolo, but its not very noticeable at all....

I know that feeling B) . I'm thinking of either blocking off the trem completely on my strat and making it a hard tailpiece, or fitting it with a FR. I just don't like the idea of having to unlock the nut to change tunings :D .

Devon

I know that feeling B) . I'm thinking of either blocking off the trem completely on my strat and making it a hard tailpiece, or fitting it with a FR. I just don't like the idea of having to unlock the nut to change tunings :D .

Devon

wait isnt FR floyd rose? and dont those require a locking nut? so wouldnt you have to unlock the nut w/one ?

i dunno man, i dont think a Floyd Rose gives bad tone, or worse then a regular trem. We all know how tone-**** Vai is, he uses mostly all Floyd Roses!

Thanks Derek!

i think the posts are actually in different locations, i have the diagram here for retrofiting a strat with a floyd, specifically it shows you where to place the posts in relation to the 2 types of posts!"

Can you send me a scan of that diagram? That would be great!!!!

Thanks,

MK!

just got my scanner today :D i'll see if i can get it working properly tomorow to scan in a 1:1 picture, course the measurments are on there, so worst case, you can just scale it when you print

they're probably just not used to playing in tune B)

I know that feeling :D . I'm thinking of either blocking off the trem completely on my strat and making it a hard tailpiece, or fitting it with a FR. I just don't like the idea of having to unlock the nut to change tunings :D .

Devon

there is no quick, or even normal speed "changing tunings" on a floyd, for me at least it's a good half hour, gettting the nut lose, getting the strings in the tuning i want, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then finally locking the nut once the bridge is back where it should be, and guess what, if you're using new strings, you'll have to unlock the nut and doo that all over again once the strings strectch out in 5 minutes

the exception being the d-tuna, but EVH developed that based on his down pitch only floyd..

BUT once you finaly get the strings stretched out you only have to tinker with the fine tuners every now and then, i haven't unlocked the locking nut on my strat for over 2 months... :D

there is no quick, or even normal speed "changing tunings" on a floyd, for me at least it's a good half hour, gettting the nut lose, getting the strings in the tuning i want, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then finally locking the nut once the bridge is back where it should be, and guess what, if you're using new strings, you'll have to unlock the nut and doo that all over again once the strings strectch out in 5 minutes

it only takes me about 5 to ten minutes...but i have been doing it a long,long time

yes, correct. i have a wilkinson trem.... it is much better than the fender trem, if you go to the pich possibilities. but it tends to detune a little after dive bombs... or a litlle more... in fact, after a dive bomb you have to completely retune your guitar (i have no locking tuners.... but i don't think that would change much but i have a roll nut and that changed nothing)

but i have a little prob, i just bought a kahler trem but i cant install it, because the pivots are to small (M5), so they don't fit in the holes (1/4") that are there. can anyone tell me how to remove the metal pieces in the body (in german called "einschlaghülsen") where the pivots are screwed in?????? :D:DB)

Would a FR with locking tuners accomplish the same thing as a locking nut? I really don't have much experience with FRs except one of my friends has one that's always out of tune :D. I use a lot of alternate tunings and like to be able to change them quickly, so if locking tuners do the same thing I'll probably go with that. Althout that means pumping more money into this not-so-great guitar B).

Devon

I really hate the FR locking nuts. If you put one on, say goodbye to your ability to fine tune the height of each string (something that's unacceptable for me as a player). You are also stuck with the metallic tone of the open strings, especially the high E. Also since the floyd is longer, it has more leverage, which means if it's set to float, it warbles easily when you rest you hand on it. Fine tuning string height at the bridge means using shims (a headache getting it just right). Although my WD floyd copy has height adjustment screws which is a real nice upgrade over the original FR design. You are also stuck with the sound of steel saddles. On the stock trem, you could do a simple mod (drill 3 holes) to use the vintage type brass tele saddles, which sound superior, IMO.(cast brass saddles sound great too, compared to steel ones, in my own experience)

afaik locking tuners are just so locked, that they don't turn when you accidently touch them or hit something with them.... so while using a tremolo they are usualy not turned, so that wouldn't change very much.

the problem is, that the srtings are not going easy enough over the nut, and after relaxing them, they won't go back to the original position if you coult build a nut, where the strings may go over w/o any resistance, than locking nuts woult be absolutely useless