Converting a strat to a Floyd!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youre right, i saw that on a guitar, but i dont think that locking tuners are good for your strings

:D

I have two guitars with sperzel locking tuners. One, I've had for 16 years, the other 11 years... both on guitars with floyds and locking nuts. Changing strings are very fast and it looks so clean without the extraneous windings around the pegs. I've had no problems with them in terms of wear and tear and whatnot in all those years. I have another floyd-ed guitar without locking tuners... now that guitar is a pain to change strings on B). As for not being good for the strings... I'm not sure what you mean. I change strings about every 3 months or so. Do you mean they break faster?

if the strinngs are not wrapped around the post, the full string-tension comes to the point, where the strings are locked in the tuner. i can imagine that they would brake here easy

Nope :D. Strings do break and I have broken many strings in 21 years of playing but 99.9999% :D of the time, strings break at the bridge end.

Edit: I should add that the bridge end's propensity for string breakage (over the head end) has been true regardless of the type of bridge (TOM, floyd, std. strat, fixed, steinberger,) with either locking or non-locking tuners/nut... in my experience anyway B).

I think a fellow named ACE on this board is in Germany. I'm not German, but I have a residence permit for Germany :D

That would be me then.

So, is your trem conversion very noticeable? I mean, any more finish touch up necessary?

so long

ace