What do you recommend?

I know this isnt in the proper section ill probably get more responses this way. What do you guys recommend for an archtop 700 dollars and lower. i like the carlo robellis, the ibanezs look nice but i have to play them, the epiphone joe pass is real nice but its a little expensive for the features. I love the arias but i dont where to find them. anyone have recommendations?

Well, what do you prefer?

Sitka or Englemann, maybe a nice Koa or Redwood topper?

Maple-backed or Walnut backed?

Maple or Mahogony neck?

Cross-braced or parallel-braced?

electronics or no electronics?

carved top necessary or is pressed top ply OK?

Ebony or metal TOM bridge?

any preference for a tailpiece...leather tether or big ole' honkin' metal job?

Do you like 16's, 17's, or those big ole' fat-daddy-don't hurt-me 18's?

Roundwounds or Flatwounds you like?

yeah the artcore was one of the major ideas runnin through.

Drak thanks for all the questions. I prefer an ornate metal bridge, 17 or 18 inch archtop. flatwounds are nice but roundwounds i can deal with too. ebony TOM please. sitka sounds best for me as a top but any of those are fine if you can find it for the price. preferably maple neck. I like a floating pickup. but whatever as long as it has electronics. carved top is necessary those flat topped archtops sound like ass to me.

As long as you are OK with the floating pkp, then you can find a cross-braced/carved top model, which gives the 'classic' dark jazz archtop sound.

If it has pkps routed into the top, it will be parallel-braced, and probably not give you what you're looking for for a classic archtop sound.

I think an 18 will be too big for you and quickly tire your arm out, you don't look quite big enough yet to handle a fat-daddy 18.

Be armed with this information when you go shopping. :D

i havent tried out too much. i've tried out the epiphones series and the carlo robellis. my favorite is the carlo robelli manhatten. i dont like the stop piece or the pickguard. but it comes with a hardshell and sounds like a d'angelico bottom end model anyway.

i recommend that you get down to a guitar shop , and try out every single guitar that you can that fits your description - its a connection, someone can't tell you a guitar that you are going to connect with

[/guitar spirituality bs.] :D