Blender Pot Instead of a 3-Way on a Tele?

I was thinking about putting a pkp blender pot on one of my Tele projects instead of the 3-way switch.

Any thoughts?

Is this unsavory to Leo?

I think it would be kinda neat, kinda like having 'one fully adjustable guitar tone' instead of distinctly separate 'choices'...

If I use a 3-way, I'll probably use a 4-way instead.

Anyone try one of these blenders out?

i haven't tried it out, but the idea appeals to me greatly

in my eyes, the one drawback to pickup selector switches is the fact that you go from one sound to another at the flick of a switch, and sometimes it sounds quite bad etc, but with a blender you can make the smooth transition

Is this unsavory to Leo?

have you seen the john 5 tele?!?

:D

-dan

I'm putting one in my current project, which will have two HBs. Won't have any actual feedback for a while (I'm way too busy to make any progress on it), but I think it should be a great way to go. My blender pot (from S-M) has the center detent, so you have some frame of reference as you turn the knob.

I would still use the three way switch. You could wire the blender output to the middle position so that you would still be able to flick between positions, but your middle position balance would be set by the blender. You would also retain the tele look, although I don't know that you care about that. You could replace the tone knob with the blender or use a split pot as volume and tone in the volume spot. I think you'll want audio taper, and to be sure that at the center detent both pots are at 100%, not 50% like a "crossfade." Any center detent stacked pot sold for a bass should be fine.

I'm putting one in my current project, which will have two HBs. Won't have any actual feedback for a while (I'm way too busy to make any progress on it), but I think it should be a great way to go. My blender pot (from S-M) has the center detent, so you have some frame of reference as you turn the knob.

This is starting to get uncanny Danno... My DC uses a blend pot instead of a selector switch, and has no tone control. I was very pleased with the way the blend pot works - nice smooth transitions between the pickups, and the centre detent makes it easy to find the middle position.

BTW, strictly speaking the dual-gang pot which Stew Mac sells is a pan pot not a blend pot, the two terms are used almost interchangably, but are apparently different. The blend pot is used on a strat type setup and replaces one of the tone controls so you can 'blend in' the third pickup when you are in one of the two pickup positions. The pan pot is used to 'pan' between two sources, turning one up whilst simultaneously turning the other down, thus achieving a smooth volume sweep across the whole range.