Tone acting like a volume

samdjr74

Hi All,

I have a custom made explorer running two SD humbuckers wired like a les paul. The problem is the tone on the bridge pick up is acting like another volume but I don't have the same problem in the neck postion. The 2 way is a right angle switcraft and the pots are gibson long shaft. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Sam

Like PxP suggests, if the capacitor is defective (short), it would cause your problem. Try switching the bridge and neck capacitors. If the problem follows the capacitor, then there's probably something wrong with it. Otherwise, switch the two tone pots and so on...

what is the actually value stamped on the capacitor.. or printed on there.. for gutiars.. if it is too high then it will act like a volume control and or a gain control instead of a tone. even when the capacitor is functioning normally.

also if you want ot see the freq roll off you can use this online calculator to show you the drop of points

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

theres alot of usful stuff on this site you should definately check it out.

personally iuse a 1meg and a 1mfd cap but i like the gain control effect that it does..

Hi All,

Here's what I've done:

Replaced both the volume and ton pots on that humbucker with brand new ones

Replaced both caps with brand new ones, both .47

Rewired the guitar completely.

No change but here's my thought, the neck pick-up is a SD pearly gates model while the bridge is a SD dimebucker. The bridge is much hotter then the neck, could it be that I require a different value cap for the bridge because it is so much hotter?

Thanks,

Sam

No change but here's my thought, the neck pick-up is a SD pearly gates model while the bridge is a SD dimebucker. The bridge is much hotter then the neck, could it be that I require a different value cap for the bridge because it is so much hotter?

Nah, the characteristics of the tone control depends solely on the values of the cap and the pot. It should sound the same for all pickups.

Has it ever worked before?