Tremolo placement question

What is the reference point on a floyd in order to place it in a way which results in the correct scale length? I mean does the scale length have to lie between the nut and the base plate of the tremolo? Or between the nut and on of the saddles of the trem? If I have a 25.5" scale neck and a matching body how do I figure out how far from the nut to place the trem so that I get the correct scale length and have enough room for adjusting the intonation of single strings?

as far as i know the scale mark 0.415" (10.5mm) behind the center point of the floyd trem posts. did you still need that conversion template for trem to floyd?

What is the reference point on a floyd in order to place it in a way which results in the correct scale length? I mean does the scale length have to lie between the nut and the base plate of the tremolo? Or between the nut and on of the saddles of the trem?

It goes to the saddles. Think about it simply: where does the string stop vibrating? As it crosses the saddle. :D

move the saddles all the way forward, to the limit of their adjustment.

Measure from the string break point on the saddle, to the centre of the trem post.

Your trem post centres should be placed exactly: scale length - (string break point to trem post) - 2mm

eg:

if the scale length is 25.5" (647.7mm)

if string break point to trem post is 12mm

then:

647.7 - 12 - 2 = 633.7mm from the nut to the centre of the trem posts.

It goes to the saddles. Think about it simply: where does the string stop vibrating? As it crosses the saddle. 

Hey am not THAT stupid....The problem is that not all saddles are parallel, so I asked because it is not obvious....

Thats right, AND, ive NEVER seen a guitar correctly intonated, that had a scale length that was equal to the string vibrating length. It is impossible.

Not a problem.

Ive converted to millimetres, because i can get more accuracy, faster, than using imperial measurements. Thats a personal thing though. (There are 25.4 mm in an inch)

Your scale length is, well, obvious. 647.7mm

The final saddle position, when set up for the correct intonation, will always need to be moved, so that the string vibrating length is LONGER than the scale length.

This is because when you fret a note, you are stretching the string slightly, when you press it. Not much, but it does raise the tension of the string. Raising the tension of the string, sharpens the note being played.

So, to counter-act the stretching motion when fretting, we need to lengthen the vibrating length slightly. THATS INTONATION.

Ok, so the STRING VIBRATING LENGTH, cannot possibly be shorter that the SCALE LENGTH, if we wish to play a well intonated instrument. Therefore, if we allow for the trem posts, to be in a position that places the saddles (at their most forward position) AT the SCALE LENGTH, then we will have access to the ENTIRE range of movement, that the saddle adjustment will allow us.

Haveing said that, i like to also take a mm or two off that length, to allow for any slight problems like neck angle to body angle, wandering drill bits, etc etc. Basically, its a safety measure.

check, recheck, and then check again. Walk away, and check it all again a fourth time, before drilling anything. Stuff this stage up, and you can throw away your project. I do all my bridge drilling operations over two days, so its checked and rechecked, and im fresh on the second day.