Floyd w/ Drop D Mechanism

i wanna buy a floyd rose trem with a drop d mechanism... what website should i go to to get this....

note: stew mac and warmoth dont really work.... guitarparts depot is ok, but not great, and allparts.com only sells to stores

anyother parts websites that would sell floyd rose trems? with drop d mechs...

well, the d-tuna was deisnged to go from e-d on the biggest string, i not sure that a) it would adjust to the correct pitch on the smaller strings, and B ) that there would be enough space between lock screws to fit 6 d-tuna's side by side.

yea... itd be an interesting experament though if anyone wants to spend the money and try lol

not really because detuning all of the strings at once would result in an imperfect detune...it wouldn't be d,it would be more like e flat or somewhere thereabouts

am i wrong when i say that you've got to block your trem if you want to use the d-tuna? cause when your bridge is floating and you cange the tuning of one string, the whole guitar will get out of tune. and if the trem is not floating, it would not be the prob to detune all strings, right? corect me if i'm wrong, its 2:00h am

regardless that it locks, altering the tension of every string would surely result in a change in the floating position of the bridge, i would imagine that this would also have an effect on the tuning...

now that i've thought a bit more about it, using the same guage strings to go from standard down one whole step would make the lower tuning a little to lose, or "slappy" i would prefer having a guitar with a heavier guage for the lower tuning and a regular set of strings for standard

And the EVH D-TUNA is only available in Chrome from my supplier

i just wanted to double check, only chrome, any other colour and you'll have to get someone like DaveK to paint it for you.

Theoretically, since the tension isnt changing, shouldn't the 6 d-tuna's work? It's lengthening the scale length, keeping the tension the same while still changing the pitch, because the same amount of tension over a longer scale is what changes the note, right?

So wouldn't that mean it wouldn't affect the position of the bridge, so that the detuning would work? The only really hard mod you would need to do would be making and attaching different length detuning mechanisms for each string.

I think? :D

Yeah, how do these things work?

They can't change the string's mass or anything, so that can't be it.

Changing the free length of the string, while keeping the tension the same, would result in bad intonation.

Changing the tension would (on floating bridges) result in an out of tune guitar.

So what does it do?

It's lengthening the scale length, keeping the tension the same while still changing the pitch, because the same amount of tension over a longer scale is what changes the note, right?

unfortunetly no, you have that backwards, scale stays the same but you're changing the tension on the string

think about it, have you ever had to move the nut, the frets or the bridge when tuning down to drop D on a hardtail guitar? of course, not, you're just releasing some of the tension on the string to lower the pitch