I'm Freaking Out

I'm out back starting to carve the top of a $120.00 piece of the sweetest Quilt I've ever layed eyes on and I am freaking out! :D:DB)

So much for the old sage advice of practicing on scrap, eh?

Am I doing it right?

Am I blowing it?

When is it going to start taking shape?

Am I carving too far down?

I have NO FREAKING CLUE what I'm doing and laughing my ass off! B)

PS, I'm using a flat-bottomed Stanley Surform, I'm slowly getting the hang of using it (I guess :D )

Wish me luck, I need some (make that a whole truckload)!

Aghhhhhhhhhh!!! :DB)

Christ that is one gorgeous piece of Koa :D

Yup, that defines it perfectly...no idea, but diving in headfirst... B)

I was kinda hoping that carving out my rear bouts would somehow help me out. I know that it looks kinda weird to get going, but once you start, the pattern kind of reveals itself to you and what you need to do becomes kind of obvious after you get the first bits hunked out.

Litch, what's a spokeshave? :D

...and no, it's not Carrie, it's the body I posted last weekend, the 'Two Towers' thang.

Hey, it feels cool bein' a newb! :D

I was kinda hoping that carving out my rear bouts would somehow help me out. I know that it looks kinda weird to get going, but once you start, the pattern kind of reveals itself to you and what you need to do becomes kind of obvious after you get the first bits hunked out.

It sounds like you have that same zen like aproach that I have, jump in head first and hope there are no rocks. :D

It works for me but I wouldn't advise anyone else to do things my way. B)

I have another set of that koa cut right next to it, identical twins. It's too thin to carve but I'm thinking it would be a great thinline twelve string.

what's a spokeshave?

Spokeshave

That's the one I have had a good deal of success with. The cheaper ones don't work for me at all. I have not used one to do what you are doing though. They do work great for shaping necks so if it doesn't end up working for the body carving, at least you'll have a good neck shaping tool.

Hi Drak,

I know you've already started but if you're like I was it will take a few sessions to get the final look you want. I found that if I penciled in where I wanted to carve and carved a little then checked the results I freaked a lot less. I carved the same amount of wood I just did it in small steps. I didn't seem as bad or as scary :-) Hope it goes well...

Rubin

I've got all this to come B) and I ain't got a clue either.

I'm not using a spokeshave though, those things are the spawn of Satan. I'm terrible with them and more likely to shave a couple of millimeters off my arm.

Gonna have to unleash the power tools :D